The hybrid Samsung Ativ Q laptop has Windows 8 and Android Jelly Bean (hands-on)

• 22 June 2013
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
It's a hybrid device, transforming from a Windows 8 slate into a full-fledged laptop in one quick motion. That's not all, though -- at the tap of an icon it'll boot into Android Jelly Bean, letting you swipe around all of your favorite apps from the Google Play store.
It's packing the latest Intel Haswell Core i5 processor, with a 13-inch display boasting a whopping 3,200x1,800-pixel resolution. Samsung has yet to announce pricing or availability, but make sure to keep checking CNET for all the latest news.
Design
The Ativ Q's standard form is a rather chunky 13-inch slate. Lift the display up at the back, though, and it reveals a keyboard underneath. The screen folds up and locks into place behind the keys, allowing you to type and swipe in much the same way you would on any other touch-screen laptop.

It's the same converting technique we saw on Sony's Vaio Duo, but Samsung has taken it a step further. Rather than converting just between laptop and slate, the screen can lie flat, lifted above and parallel to the keyboard. I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to keep it in that position -- rather than have it lying flat in tablet mode -- but I guess it's useful to have the option.
More helpful though is the option to flip the screen all the way over, turning it, essentially, into a tablet on a stand. The screen automatically rotates as you turn it over. Samsung reckons this mode is best to use for presentations in meetings or just for watching video when you don't want the keyboard exposed.

Read here.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
I was quite interested with the first of the hybrids a few weeks ago, and I still am now.  While many think the dual boot is more gimmick than useful, the overal size of the device makes for a good tablet or mini-Windows screen.  I can think of a lot of ways in which this would get well used in my home and I hope to get one at some point.

Thanks Amit!  OH by the way... I love the avatar!!
Userlevel 7
@ Thanks David.:)