The Reason Microsoft's Always-Online is the Future of Gaming

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1455 replies
Microsoft is placing the Xbox One beyond the reach of people without a stable and reliable internet connection. The reason for the move to always-online is to take console gaming to the next level. This will create a new world of hybrid multiplayer development and games that would not be possible on an unconnected console.

The perfect example of this new frontier of multiplayer gaming is Bungie's online first-person shooter (FPS), Destiny. The multiplayer advancements will incorporate many of the appealing aspects from Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMOs) into a console. 

Full Article

(Source: Techhive)

11 replies

Userlevel 7
I strongly disagree.  (I rarely disagree with you Mike...)  While I agree that there are considerable advantages to the connected console and things that just cannot be done on an unconnected one, that does not mean that a console should be created to MANDATE connection.  In my opinion it should be possible to create the console and games to allow for both situations.
Userlevel 7
Maybe there should be an on/off switch! :D

It looks like they are leading the move to a new frontier of console gaming. A bold move indeed, but once I found out the reason for their always-online innovation, I reconsidered my position. 
Userlevel 5
Hi David:    I would have to agree with Mike in this instance, simply because gaming will brought to a new level which we have not encountered yet. Connected to the (masses) as I would put it would be unlimited to what could be accomplish on line.
Not connected your limited to what can be done.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi David:    I would have to agree with Mike in this instance, simply because gaming will brought to a new level which we have not encountered yet. Connected to the (masses) as I would put it would be unlimited to what could be accomplish on line.
Not connected your limited to what can be done.
Hi Tony :)

I fully agree with limitations of unconnected play, and the immense possibilities of connected.  I just still feel that giving the owner a choice in the matter is by far preferable.  There are still times or places in which connection just will not be an option.
Userlevel 5
I understand your point more clearly now.................how about a kill switch???:D
Userlevel 7
Also, as a parent of an autistic 12 year old (very highly functional, but still...), I have extreme concerns about allowing him use of a system that would require connection any time he is using it.  We feel pretty strongly about giving him as much freedom as we can now that he is getting towards the teenage years, but still also see a need to monitor things.  He would not be very happy about having an XBox One that at times would sit unused because of the need to keep him offline for various reasons.
Userlevel 5
I guess I'm behind iin the Gaming mode, I'm still playing pac-man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I guess I'm behind iin the Gaming mode, I'm still playing pac-man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Now THAT is more MY speed!  :)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Pong as in Ping-Pong, 😃 http://www.pong-story.com/coleco_arcade.htm
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Pong as in Ping-Pong :D
I was pretty good that that too!  Around... 30 years ago 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
1977 36 years WoW.