Blog

Threat Report Q&A - Got questions? We've got answers

• 22 April 2022
  • 9 replies
Threat Report Q&A - Got questions? We've got answers
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey Webroot-Fam,

With the release of our 2022 Brightcloud Threat report we figured that the more curious amongst yourselves would have some questions you’re dying to ask us. If you haven’t read that report yet - go check it out! There is a ton of really interesting data and information in there. 

You got questions?

We’ve got answers

Our answers may or may not be pizza. Time will tell

Shoot us any questions you have relating to the threat report below, and our resident Threat expert, @TylerM, will respond with the quickness. 

Additionally - I’ve created a short Threat Report Quiz to see how many of you paid attention while scrolling through the report. Feel free to brag about your quiz results below!

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This question is from page 8.

Is there any accounting for why Japan has the lowest infection rate even though, aside from Busines Win 10, it has pretty poor Windows adoption rates? Especially on the consumer side where I’d expect to see more malware.

I see some speculation in the article about layers of security and/or SAT, but am unclear if there is any hard evidence that this is markedly better in Japan.

We see the Middle East has the highest infection rate and the poorest Win 7/10 adoption rate across the board. So that makes sense.

Japan doesn’t.

Mostly curious to see if they are doing anything we can try and replicate in our own spaces. Or maybe it’s just a statistical outlier we should ignore.

Thanks for taking questions!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Oh and only got 7/10 on the quiz. Not really much to brag about, but i’ll take the C. lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Second question from page 9.

Do you think some of the more highly targeted verticals are in part because the lack of regulatory security controls?

Are these industries more likely to get hacked because they are not held to any specific security standard?

For instance, I see Manufacturing and Education up top but Finance and Healthcare much lower. Finance has FINRA and PCI compliance controls. Healthcare has HIPAA.

I am not aware of any specific security compliance measures for the Manufacturing or Education industries. Unless they’re contracting with the government, Then there is CMMC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

This question is from page 8.

Is there any accounting for why Japan has the lowest infection rate even though, aside from Busines Win 10, it has pretty poor Windows adoption rates? Especially on the consumer side where I’d expect to see more malware.

I see some speculation in the article about layers of security and/or SAT, but am unclear if there is any hard evidence that this is markedly better in Japan.

We see the Middle East has the highest infection rate and the poorest Win 7/10 adoption rate across the board. So that makes sense.

Japan doesn’t.

Mostly curious to see if they are doing anything we can try and replicate in our own spaces. Or maybe it’s just a statistical outlier we should ignore.

Thanks for taking questions!

Japan is a unicorn and literally skews the data.

For every other country the chance of encountering an infection correlates directly with the prevalence of older operating system choice. I don’t know what it is in the habits of Japanese users that allow them to encounter less threats while using more insecure OS

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Do we have historical data on Japan that shows this year over year? Just curious if this is a one-off statistical blip or a more sustained unicorn status.

Userlevel 7
Badge +24

Do we have historical data on Japan that shows this year over year? Just curious if this is a one-off statistical blip or a more sustained unicorn status.

Japan has recently been like this. Here is a screen shot of last year’s

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I find this particular part of the report fascinating, and the added info from the prior report makes more even more curious. I would love to see more in-depth research on how the culture of Japan impacts their cyber security risk. As stated before it could just be a fluke, but I would be interested in learning more either way. It is likely not something that could be replicated elsewhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I find this particular part of the report fascinating, and the added info from the prior report makes more even more curious. I would love to see more in-depth research on how the culture of Japan impacts their cyber security risk. As stated before it could just be a fluke, but I would be interested in learning more either way. It is likely not something that could be replicated elsewhere. 

I feel like the explanation just leads to more questions.

Japan is a unique region targeted by unique malware…

What distinguishes Japan as unique to other Asian countries?  Why is it so different from South Korea, for instance?

What is unique about the malware? That it doesn’t work?

This is all so strange. There has to be some reason for it, right?