Three-In-One: Say Hello to the Asus Transformer Book Trio

• 3 June 2013
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
As some of you may or may not know, there is a major computer exhibition happening this week across the Pacific. Computex 2013 in Taipei, Taiwan, is where many PC, chip, tablet, and mobile manufacturers show off their latest and greatest (much like CES, but more 'real products that will soon be available' rather than 'awesome concepts from the future that you may see go mainstream in five years').

And while the show officially starts June 4 (keeping in mind that Taiwan is 12-15 hours (Eastern to Pacific) ahead of the US), many companies (such as Taiwan's own Asus and Acer) have already made their big announcements, the most interesting [so far] being Asus's Transformer Book Trio, which, in a nutshell is a combination of three computing devices and two operating systems. Basically, it's an Android tablet that you can snap into a keyboard, at which point it becomes a laptop capable running both Android and Windows 8. The other twist? The keyboard has it's own hard drive with a Core i7 processor and can be connected to a wireless monitor, transforming (pun intended) into a desktop PC. For more info on the new device, check out PC World's article.

(Source: PC World)

I think this sounds awesome-the combination of a sleek device with powerful specs and great versatility sounds like another winner from the creative Taiwanese company. That said, there are still many unknowns, price being one of them. And with what the Trio is bringing to the table, this may be one pricey device. Sprinkle in the fact that you're mixing two, completely unrelated OS's and many questions arise. I'd like to hear your opinions on this device and whether or not you think it'll be successful or if the consumer's aren't ready for an Android/Windows collaboration.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Which version of Windows 8 does this little fellow run: RT or full?

If it runs the full version, not the RT, this looks to be a GREAT device as far as I am concerned.  I love the ability to use as a laptop with my Windows programs, but the tablet mode with Android would be really great for on the go use.

Userlevel 7
It's definitely the full version! We'll see how it does once it comes out, but I agree that there is some serious potential here!
Userlevel 7
Oh I can see ALL sorts of ways that I would love it.

Android: GPS and Google Maps, access to Google Play,
Windows: Microsoft Office and my other "heavier" software

I could probably go on and on, but you get the idea....
Userlevel 4
Looking good! Oh and the laptop too.  :D  :D  :D No it sound pretty awesome. The fact that the keyboard has it's own prossesor is cool. More speed and more power please. :D 
Userlevel 7
I have not had a new computer in... well, quite a while.  I am going to have to start saving my pennies for this one!  :)
Userlevel 7
Oh I love it. I'll take one please.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Very interesting and Kwel! 😉 I really want the next Gen Surface Pro Tablet!!!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Well, while its specification seems stunning, it is morbid combination IMHO ... Win and Android, actually the biggest competitors in the field of mobile communication, in one device together is like having ancient enemies in one box, can it be successful? I don't think so, there were already a few attempts to combine OS and all failed to impress the public. Time will tell how this Trio Book will thrive ...
Userlevel 7
I dont see the point of this device, I am waiting for the Surface Pro revision which is rumoured to be out in July/August!