To all you Community Android Fans...

Userlevel 7
Samsung unveiled its Galaxy S3 smartphone earlier today...How cool is it? Check out this one (of many) articles and post what you think.

I, personally, have a love-hate relationship with smartphones. On the one hand, I am intrigued by new releases. With their ever-more-sleek designs, abundance of new features, and polished operating systems, major mobile phone (can I even call it that anymore?) manufacturers usually do a good job of impressing (and convincing) consumers to dish out hundreds of dollars for their latest and greatest.

On the other hand, however, few smartphones actually live up to the hype. As features turn out less cool than originally marketed and operating systems prove to be laggy and sluggish, your once super-fast-top-of-the-line smartphone gets lost and forgotten amongst a sea of other smartphones with comparable features and cosmetics. But to me, the most frustrating part is that it is impossible to stay current as new smartphones get dished out in what seems to be the day after you buy the newest one all the while you get stuck in a binding two year contract.

As phones become more and more like mini computers, however, I (as the owner of a now barely still relevant Samsung Galaxy Nexus) cannot help but to stay intrigued. And with new features like "Smart Stay" (advanced face recognition that keeps the phone unlocked as it detects you are looking at it) and "S Voice" (Android's answer to Siri that responds to your words) along with ever-updated rear front/rear cameras and and ever-growing screen sizes, how can you not be intrigued either?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Thank you for your replies TripleHelix, ProTruckDriver, and pegas! It's always nice to hear see what you guys think and it also brings some much needed traffic to these new Community forums! http://webroot.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

TripleHelix and ProTruckDriver: While smartphones are a "hot commodity" these days, by not having one, you guys avoid all the pressure to stay current and fear of your device quickly becoming obsolete! http://webroot.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

pegas:

Great story! I completely feel your frustration because there really is no way to know what groundbreaking product can suddenly be revealed tomorrow as you get stuck with something that's already "old news". At this point, you may as well go pick up the new Galaxy 3...This way, at least you can buy yourself some time with the newest smartphone, albeit a short amount of it! The reality of it is, unless you are willing to dish out six, seven, even 800 dollars each time time something "revolutionary" comes out, you're bound (at least here in the states) to stick to what you got for two years (which is an eternity in smartphone years).

Not to go off on a tangent, but it also doesn't help that I'm on Verizon (CDMA Network). So even if I could afford those pricey upgrades, I couldn't use most (if any) of those world phones because they're GSM.

Cheers,
Userlevel 7
Well said Yegor ;)

You did touch my personal temptations 😃 I will tell you story ... last summer I decided to give a farewell to my old Nokia Symbian phone in favour of a real core smart phone. So I dived into all reviews & articles but found myself in a very disputable situation because I wanted the best equipped Android device but also reasonably sized. Yeah, what a task! So I bought finally HTC Desire S which suited me in the best. However a few weeks passed and Sony announced their new flag-ship Xperia S (after splitting with Ericsson). So I was almost determined to kick off my Desire S and take Xperia S because I fell in love with this handy. Well, all of a sudden HTC revealed their One X boasting as the best smart phone ever. I said OK I will change my decision and will go for One X instead of Xperia S. You can probably imagine what happened then ... Samsung announced Galaxy III surpassing all other smart phones. I am saying myself OK why not, I might grab it HOWEVER I am so frightened what other vendors could reveal in near future. So in order to retain healthy mind I will hold my Desire S definitely for a while.

Sorry to bother you with this lengthy story but I had to 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56

@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Nice phone maybe it's time to open my wallet and get a smart phone! :D

TH
While your wallet's open, you could buy me one! lol :D 
Sure!   

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Nice phone maybe it's time to open my wallet and get a smart phone! :D