Twitter can trigger psychosis in users

• 9 August 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Comment: This is a distrubing thought what Twitter can trigger.
=================================================================================================
By Darren Pauli, 8 Aug 2014

Twitter can trigger psychosis in predisposed users, according to a team of doctors from the Universitätsmedizin hospital in Berlin.
A study Twitter Psychosis A Rare Variation or a Distinct Syndrome? concluded that Twitter may have "a high potential to induce psychosis in predisposed users" based on the case of a 31 year-old woman who developed the condition from spending too much time reading and writing in 140 characters or less.
 The unnamed woman named "Mrs C" imagined non-existent connections between tweets sent from random users that she during the time of her psychosis considered to be hidden messages from a celebrity.
Mrs C then saw these connections in the real world and began to follow what she considered tasks set by a organisation, likely a sect, for her to complete.

The Register/ Full Article Here/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/08/twitter_can_trigger_psychosis_in_users/

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Thanks, Anthony...just gives me another reason to avoid using it. LOL
Userlevel 7
Just sticking my 2 cents in, but, shouldn't this be filed under "Techie"?
Userlevel 7
good point ..........will remove and put in Techie
Userlevel 7
Whoooops don't have the option to remove will have to leave for now but thanks for the help Jeff
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The authors of the study seem to be extrapolating a lot from one isolated case.  I'll go ahead and move the topic for you Anthony.
Userlevel 7
Great read, enjoyed it! Just as I was again considering using Twitter, perfect timing, thanks for posting!
Userlevel 7
Thanks nic