U Block update settings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Does anyone  use Automatic setting for U Block updates?  Seems to need constant updates which I do at Default .  Also how often should we use the purge cache function..if ever?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'm trying to understand what you guys are talking about?

This stops the jumpyness on sites I visit often!

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Just checked again. All my filters are updating regularly. All updated anything from 17 hours to 16 days ago but mostly between two and four days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
HI BlazeTen,

I have UBlock set to automatically also which is the default.  Ate you asking about the cache in history? I don't see cache in UBlock. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Same here for both Firefox and Chrome set to Auto!
Userlevel 7
SAme here, Daniel & Sherry...;)

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi BlazeTen,

UBlock does the same thing to me when purging all cache! So I am not sure why it does this if it's already updated? Thank you for explaining that to us though. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
So I still wonder if it really auto updates or if we need to keep a constant vigil with it as far as updating.  It is a wonderful and effective add on though I must say.  No complaints.  So after listening to you all,  I'm going to continue to manually update until I hear more.....if there is more.  I would like to know more.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Auto!

I was trying to take the Above Snapshot and I was blocked by WSA's Identity Shield! Just Awesome WSA is so I added Snagit to the Identity Shield under protect and all is fine now! Lot's of fun.......... :D

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
When I click toolbar icon, point to black header at top of ballon which says uBlock Origin 1.7.6 which then ballons "click to open dashboard" then click 3rd party filters I see my filter list.  Far right on each checked list it says purge cache.  Or at top of page it has an update all and purge all caches buttons respectively.  Apply all changes button will appear when needed.  Under settings in dashboard I have auto updates checked.  All is at Default but seems to always show me "new versions available" or "out of date" with the update now button highlighted.  In Firefox and Chrome I get the same behavior.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
I'm using uBo with FF and have it set to Auto-update filter lists. I have just checked all my filters by hovering over the "purge cache" buttons.Ten filters are checked and they have all been updated within the last two days, "uBlock filters"  as recently as five hours ago. I will now monitor to see how the update times change.

Userlevel 7
Still monitoring the auto update feature, and so far all appears to be working as advertised.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thanks ?   I just reset to default on one computer this morning and reupdated all 10 default filter lists so I could observe my "storage used".  It reduced from 27,242,540 bytes down to 8,876,467 bytes.  I'm beginning to speculate that maybe I need to periodically "purge all caches" then "apply changes" also to prevent storage over fill.  So "Steady As She Goes Mate"...maybe we're on to something good here ...like getting the most from an already great utility.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Sooo...here is my observation of my three PCs since my initial post two weeks earlier.  My uBlock filters are updating as they show "new version available:.  The five subsequent categories of Ads, Privacy, Malware domains, Social, and Multi-Purpose respectively alert "out of date" and do not auto update.  I have to manualy update them. All still at default.  I have " ran the gamut" of experimentation... so to speak.... including removal and re-install in Chrome and Firefox. I am curious to hear from ???? who commented earlier in this thread before I let it go to it"s final resting place.  Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
So...i've watched uBlock since my Wednesday posts and as I said in those posts, 3rd Party filters have not automatically updated.  I see where my posts could have been ambiguous in reference to auto updates.  I'm sure my browsers will keep the version updated...it's the 3rd Party Filters updating that I am refering to.  I also discovered that pointing to the grey "purge cache" verbage at end of each checked filter list will balloon the time lapsed since said filter was last updated.  I have the exact behavior on three pc's, each one identical to the other and everything updated. uBlock is at default.  I'm hoping someone with expertise will watch theirs for two or three days and post back or PM whether or not filter lists are in fact auto-updating or not.  I will see it for the Community posts are my morning newspaper...I'm on a mission now to see whether or not I'm doing something wrong.... 
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Thanks ? for taking an interest.  I,m going to let mine run on autopilot until Wednesday then post my outcome, that should be ample time.