Unable (at times) to move or resize windows

Userlevel 3
I greet the community. I am asking for your help to solve a problem which is perhaps not directly, but in some way, related to WSA.

Since a couple of weeks or so I have to deal with a very strange malfunction on one of the three machines of my network (all of them with Windows 8.1). It's a HP laptop 250, which I use intensively and normally with an additional screen to have a large display with vertical development.

Well, what happens, in seemingly random circumstances, it's that all of a sudden I cannot move or resize any window! This applies to Explorer windows, as well as for those of the browser, or of any other application. I also noticed that, during this malfunction, the utility for screen capture does not capture anything.
What's even stranger is that the malfunction may lasts several minutes, even 15' or 20 ', but then it ends and the PC turns back to work properly!
While I have the issue the "Task Manager" does not detect any process that could arouse suspicion, and the use of the various resources (CPU, disk, etc.) is within normal limits.
The PC is configured for installing updates manually, I apply them regularly, and so far I preferred to install optional updates as well. In theory, the problem could have been introduced by some "buggy" update, but, in that case we would then be of course many to complain of it.

However I saw that others in the past have complained about a similar problem, but the causes and remedies are not clear: http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/29793-cannot-move-resize-windows-drag-mouse-slow-response.html. A “magical” self-restoring is also reported!

A possible cause can be some sort of corruption of the OS, therefore I ran "sfc /scannow", also in safe mode.
The utility said "impossible to repair some damaged files", but going to see CBS.log, this concerns with Amd64CNBJ2530.DPB of prncacla.inf, that according to what we read here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/hash-mismatch/08ef49a6-84e8-47ad-bd69-48b829d495c9, should not be a serious problem.

However, after running "sfc /scannow", it seems that nothing has changed, since the problem has come back to me this morning, but since then the machine (without having rebooted it) is operating normally!

Another possibility is that all this is due to a virus, but nothing has been detected by WSA. To be more certain I also ran a deep scan with Housecall, which detected nothing abnormal too.

At this point I really don't know what to do and I hope for your help.

You may consider that I already asked to the local MS community here, and our local guru replied as you may read here (perhaps with the help of the Google translator): http://answers.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/impossibile-spostare-o-ridimensionare-finestre/98aa845d-f7f0-49fa-a557-4ace5e9d0309?tm=1446653149653

He substantially said to follow these steps for a “clean” start of the OS and for correcting possible corrupted files:
http://answers.microsoft.com/it-it/windows/wiki/windows8_1-performance/avvio-pulito-per-windows-8-81-10/34152d49-1b32-4f01-b559-d8894a9627c6

He strongly recommends, as the first step, of completely removing any AV of third parties!
To say the truth the guy IMHO has somewhat radical ideas, as according to him third parties AV's (and added functionality), ruin the system modules!

For WSA the steps to follow are described in this page, right?
http://www.webroot.com/prodCheck/?pc=64150&origrc=1&oc=221&mjv=7&mnv=0&rel=6&bld=38&lang=en&loc=AUS&kc=ppc%60lkik^^afhgpewgfa&opi=2&omj=6&omn=1&osl=en&errid

It looks like somewhat outdated however (no mention of Win 8.1 or 10!), but I hope it's still valid.

In any case what do you think of this issue and of the proposed solution?
Do you have alternative ideas?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

APologies for moving your post but I felt that it was more pertinent in the Techie than in the Complete Forum...as it is after all more a general technical question than a specific one related to Complete.

May I say that you appear to have covered a number of bases very well but from reading what you have stated I would ventrue that the issue is not WSA-related as, I am guessing here, you have been using WSA for more than the couple of weeks in which the issue has been occurring?  And also therw would be a quick way to tell if WSA is in anyway involved; temporarily disable it for a few days (making sure that you had some alternative protection on instead) and seeing if during that time you get a reoccurrence of the issue...my guess is that with WSA off you would still have the issue.

Best thing that I suggest that you can do is to see if you can remember as to what you did; installed, uninstalled, etc., two or so weeks ago just before the issue started and then work from there.

Running "sfc /scannow" would have been my next suggestions, which I see that you have done...the other thing that I would have suggested is running "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" but again I suspect that you have also tried that...so at this point I have nothing to suggest but if I do come across something I will make a point of posting back.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Did i read it correctly that you use a dual screen setup?? Are you by any chance using some sort of citrix env? And are your display monitors set up to display different resolutions?? I've seen this happen with citrix apps if monitor 1 uses a different resolution then monitor 2
Userlevel 3
Thanks for replying Baldrick.
No problem for moving my post, you have more experience than me with the community and I agree with you that placing it here seems more appropriate.

First of all let me clarify one thing, when I said that the problem is “in some way, related to WSA” I didn't mean that WSA may have caused it.
The causes are obscure and probably we will never know what happened, also because the issue manifested itself maybe 3-4 times in the latest two weeks, and since yesterday morning this machine is working normally. So it's difficult to catch it and pin it down!
Moreover I didn't install any new SW in the latest weeks, the only changes in the system come from the updates for Windows, Firefox, Java, Flash, and... what else?

The steps for possibly restore the system, in case the malfunction is due to some corruption of the OS, are in fact the ones that you mentioned.
As I wrote I already executed sfc /scannow, but I didn't try the next step “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
This is part of the more complex procedure described by our local MS expert (Franco Leuzzi), of which I gave you the link.
However, as I said, he strongly recommends to uninstall and completely remove any AV from the system (except Defender and other MS stuff) before proceeding, otherwise, according to him, all we can do is useless, in the sense that, sfc or Dism cannot work properly (is it?).

Here comes the relation with WSA!

It's for this reason that I asked if I should make reference to this page for it: http://www.webroot.com/prodCheck/?pc=64150&origrc=1&oc=221&mjv=7&mnv=0&rel=6&bld=38&lang=en&loc=AUS&kc=ppc%60lkik^^afhgpewgfa&opi=2&omj=6&omn=1&osl=en&errid

Is this right?

However I am in doubt if doing anything at all (I have so many things to do that I will be happy to save this time if I can), unless the issue shows up again or more frequently.

To Edwin:
thanks for your suggestion, but I don't use Citrix stuff. I have been using this 2 monitors configuration for more than a year (using the built in screen management utility) and I am happy with it. The two screens are in fact with different resolution and aspect ratio, the upper one it's still a glorious CRT (HP Brilliance 109P), which resolution I adapted to the one of the laptop screen so that it appears as a unique continuous screen 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
try and put them on the same resolution for a few days just to see.. I know it'll look like poop but try it...
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

If I where you I would try the  “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" and if yo are interested I can point you at a 3rd party utility that will allow you to run that command very easily indeed (I cannot refer to it in open Forum as it is contrary to Community Guidelines but if you private message me I would be pleased to provide yo with the information).

As far as the link you provided:  http://www.webroot.com/prodCheck/?pc=64150&origrc=1&oc=221&mjv=7&mnv=0&rel=6&bld=38&lang=en&loc=AUS&...^^afhgpewgfa&opi=2&omj=6&omn=1&osl=en&errid

I am afraid that I am not understanding how the link applies...I am just getting directed to a site that is entitled "Webroot is Windows® 10 Compatible"...would yo be able to clarify further just what you are askiing?

Many thanks, Baldrick

Userlevel 3
Huh! It looks like the link has been truncated by some process!
I intended to refer to the page with the instructions for a complete removal of WSA, which can be accessed also from here: EDIT: <URL snipped as contrary to Community Guidelines>
I would like to know if information there is still valid.

As for the Dism command, it is not complicated, if it were only for it, it gets complicated if one has to apply the entire procedure suggested by Leuzzi:
(https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fanswers.microsoft.com%2Fit-it%2Fwindows%2Fwiki%2Fwindows8_1-performance%2Favvio-pulito-per-windows-8-81-10%2F34152d49-1b32-4f01-b559-d8894a9627c6&edit-text=),
but do you mean that I can apply it without all the pre and post steps he strongly recommends? In particular uninstalling WSA (or any other AV), cleaning the register, etc.?

Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

Apologies for the snip but reference to other security vendor website is not allowed under Community Guidelines. In terms of full removal I can provide you with some information on where to look for the remnant of WSA once you have run the standard uninstaller, if that would help. Just let me know, and I will PM you the information in a document.

EDIT: I can do better than that and provide you with a link to a KB Article that provide the information on the lcoations that WSA installs to, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Well, I asked the Support team.
Although I have not been told explicitly, I deduce that the page I tried to give exact reference to is in fact outdated.
Currently the steps for removing WSA are basically these:
1) standard uninstall
2) reboot
3) renaming the folder WRData (e.g. to WRData1)
Maybe something else is left, one may check the locations of the KB article, I suppose that these leftovers should be irrelevant, but it looks like a more specific removal tool does not exist.
In the meanwhile this machine is running normally, so maybe I can avoid all these troubles.
Userlevel 7
Hi Glauco

Thanks for the update...and yes, what you describe is the advice already given as to what should need to be done to remove/uninstall WSA. I do believe that there are some Registry-related leftovers but these are usually insignifcant/have in my experience never caused a problem in the past...but if you would like I could try to dig up some information on them...always with the caveat that one plays/tweaks the Registry at one's peril.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I agree with you, and I think that the game it's not worth the candle.
Userlevel 7
No worries, but if you change your mind just let me know...the offer remains open. ;)

Regards, Baldrick