[Unofficial] Webroot filtering extension and password manager in Opera [Unofficial]

Userlevel 7
  • Community Leader
  • 314 replies
Hey everyone, Commander Shran here.

Many thanks to @  for giving me permission to post this, since it isn't officially supported, and many thanks to @ , @  , @ , @ , and @ for their suggestions 

. And a thanks to @  for his requesting of the Password Manager!

That being said, before I begin, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED BY WEBROOT, and therefore this could stop working at any time.

I've seen a lot of people asking if they can get the Webroot filtering extension - the one that Webroot installs in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome - in Opera. The short answer is: yes

. The long answer is: since the new versions of Opera use the Blink engine, the same as Chrome, and also uses the same addon file extension, .crx, it should work, if you find the original packed addon file. Please note that this will only work in the newer versions of Opera, and will not work in Opera versions running the Presto engine (versions 12.x and older). You must be running version 15 or higher for this to work.
Please note that if you install the filtering extension in Opera this way, you will have to manually update the extension in Opera when a new version of the extension comes out. I will include steps on how to update the extension after the steps on how to install it.
EDIT (1 July 14) : For information on how to get the Webroot Password Manager in Chrome, I've posted it right after the instructions for the filtering extension. The Password Manager will also have to be manually updated.
Webroot stores the extension installation file for Chrome, by defualt, in "C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChrome" (without the quotation marks). If you open Opera, go to the drop down menu by clicking the "Opera button" in the top left corner, then click "Extensions", you will see Opera's extension manager. You can also get there by typing in the address bar "opera://extensions", also without the quotation marks, or, by pressing "Ctrl + Shift + E". Once here, browse to the folder above (C:ProgramDataWRDataPKGChrome), by typing it in. The ProgramData is a hidden system folder and cannot be viewed to click on without unhiding all system files, which I do not recomend. You can however, type in the folder's path manually, and open the folder without unhidding system files. You should see a file named something like "CHROME_1.x.x.xx.crx" (depending on the version number). Next, just drag and drop that file into Opera's extension manager. Since the extension is coming from a source outside the Opera addon gallery, it will ask you to confirm the installation. Once you click "install" on Opera's prompt, the extension will install, and you will have the filtering extension just like in Chrome

. To update: when a new version of the extension comes out (you will have to check the version number of the extension periodically, probably when WSA is updated, in order to know if you have to update it in Opera), remove the old version of the extension, then just browse back to the same folder above, and drag and drop the new version of the extension's .crx file into Opera's addon manager, just like when installing it. I will include screenshots to make it easier to follow

I hope this helps!

The password manager is stored in the parent folder of the one we just used for the extension. Type C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG into the address bar. There should be a file near the top of the list (at the time of this writing, it was eighth in the list) called "lpchrome.crx". Drag and drop that into Opera's extension manager the same way you did with the filtering extension, and confirm the installation. NOTE: This will have to be manually updated when a new version of the Password Manager extension comes out. Hope this helps!

31 replies

Userlevel 7
Well done Commander!  Tagging for quick reference.

:-) 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello CommanderShran, Very impressive presentation and Thanks for posting for us all in the WSA environment! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Excellent post Commander, very easy to understand.
Userlevel 7
Well done Commander!
Many thanks for your idea, for your work and commitment!!
Kudo, Kudo, Kudo and once again Kudo!!

Regards,

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Excellent Job Commander!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Hello Commander :D,

The installation of the Webroot extension in Opera was successful here thanks to you: Excellent trick indeed...
But is it normal that no icon appears on the toolbar of the main window? I assume that this extension only filters the search engines but doesn't manage logins, autofillings etc.., right?
Many thanks anyway.

Cheers,
Herve
Userlevel 7
Your last comment his the nail on the head: the lack of a toolbar icon in this case is entirely normal: the Filtering Extension does not use an icon.  The Toolbar Icon, if present, is for the Password Manager.  This can also be used with Opea and Shran has done a guide on how to use it in Opera HERE.
Userlevel 4
@DavidP1970 wrote:
Your last comment his the nail on the head: the lack of a toolbar icon in this case is entirely normal: the Filtering Extension does not use an icon.  The Toolbar Icon, if present, is for the Password Manager.  This can also be used with Opea and Shran has done a guide on how to use it in Opera https:///t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Unofficial-Webroot-filtering-extension-in-Opera-Unofficial/td-p/111044.
Hi David :D,

Thanks for your reply. I"m sorry but your link where Shran explains how to get the icon with the password manager, leads right to this thread where you have posted your answer! lol So my nail is still scratching my head... No icon on the toolbar..at least on my side!

Cheers mate,
Herve
Userlevel 7
In being tired and distracted, I did not reply correctly here or on another thread. The user on the other thread did manage to figure it out in spite of my errors. Take a look at his last reply....it has the correct patch for Chrome PM Toolbar files that can bemanually imported into Opera just as the filter extension in the link I provided.https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/Webroot-and-Opera/m-p/123154#M2959
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@DavidP1970 wrote:
In being tired and distracted, I did not reply correctly here or on another thread. The user on the other thread did manage to figure it out in spite of my errors. Take a look at his last reply....it has the correct patch for Chrome PM Toolbar files that can bemanually imported into Opera just as the filter extension in the link I provided. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/Webroot-and-Opera/m-p/123154#M2959

Hi @ I've installed Opera on W/Vista 64 and did indeed instal the Webroot filtering extension with the link you provided.. So just thought you'd like to know that it worked for me!:D
Userlevel 7
Hi guys!

Sorry I am late to the party.

Heco, I am currently also using Opera with both the filtering extension and the password manager. If you browse to C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG , there should be a file named lpchrome.crx . Just drag that into Opera and tell the extension manager to allow just the same way as you did with the filtering extension. Let me know if you want me to add screenshots 😃. NOTE: Just like with the filtering extension, the Password Manager will have to manually updated. EDIT: This, like the filtering extension, only works with Opera versions that are past 12.x. The newer versions are based on the Chromium "Blink" engine, which is what allows these extensions to work.
Userlevel 7
EDIT: I went ahead and added these instructions, along with screenshots, to the original post.
Userlevel 7
Nope, Evan, does not work for me at all...same as with the filtering extension.  And I am running:

About Opera

Version information

Version                     12.17
Build                          1863
Platform                     Win32
System                      Windows 7

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
@DavidP1970 wrote:
In being tired and distracted, I did not reply correctly here or on another thread. The user on the other thread did manage to figure it out in spite of my errors. Take a look at his last reply....it has the correct patch for Chrome PM Toolbar files that can bemanually imported into Opera just as the filter extension in the link I provided. https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/Webroot-and-Opera/m-p/123154#M2959
Sorry for you David, if you are tired :$! It was so kind of you to try to help me.
Thank you for the new link you kindly provided.

Cheers,
Herve
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just wanted to say hi Herve!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56

@ wrote:
Nope, Evan, does not work for me at all...same as with the filtering extension.  And I am running:

About Opera

Version information

Version                     12.17
Build                          1863
Platform                     Win32
System                      Windows 7

Regards

Baldrick

Solly it's for the Chrome Based Opera that it works on! Also if you have Firefox with Opera 12.17 Opera uses the extension from the Firefox folder on it's own for the Web Threat Shield only! Win 7 x64 Firefox 32bit and Opera 32bit.

HTH,

Daniel ;)

See here when @ did it with the Chrome Based Opera! https://community.webroot.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/Transition-from-the-old-Opera-Presto-to-the-new-Opera-Chromium/m-p/64971#M559

Userlevel 4
@_GoSpursGo wrote:
Hi guys!

Sorry I am late to the party.

Heco, I am currently also using Opera with both the filtering extension and the password manager. If you browse to C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG , there should be a file named lpchrome.crx . Just drag that into Opera and tell the extension manager to allow just the same way as you did with the filtering extension. Let me know if you want me to add screenshots 😃. NOTE: Just like with the filtering extension, the Password Manager will have to manually updated.
HOORAY! :D, NOW i have both extensions: filtering and password manager thank to YOU Shran! And the icing on the cake (or McDo' lol) is that the Webroot icon appears on the toolbar:!
I have no words Shran to express my gratitude.

Many thanks and cheers,
Herve
Userlevel 7
Hi Solly :D

As our friendly DNA beat me to saying it does only work in the "Blink" engine based (Chromium) versions of Opera.

Did I forget to mention it in my post? Sorry! I'll go add that now.

Shran 😃
Userlevel 7
Cheers, Daniel

Interestingly my plugin path is as follows:

Plug-in path    C:Program Files (x86)Operaprogramplugins

How did you manage to change yours to point at the Firefox plugins library?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Cheers, Daniel

Interestingly my plugin path is as follows:

Plug-in path    C:Program Files (x86)Operaprogramplugins

How did you manage to change yours to point at the Firefox plugins library?

Regards

Baldrick
It always did it on it's own for me maybe try a reinstall of Opera and make sure to clean out all the leftovers before reinstall.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Thanks, Daniel, but I have tried that and for some reason it remains steadfastly as reported.  I will have to investigate this a bit further.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Nah, I think I recall you saying that...I just forgot...but what is confusing is how one knows which version runs with which engine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I think I did oh well you will have to let us know how you get it to work if you do?

Daniel
Userlevel 4

@ wrote:
Just wanted to say hi Herve!

Daniel ;)
...Just wanted to say hi Daniel my guru,mon ami et mon cyber frère! ;).
Cheers,
Herve

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yes I think I did oh well you will have to let us know how you get it to work if you do?

Daniel
Hi Daniel

Well, I found this in the Opera Online Help:

"In some cases, you may need to configure Opera so that it can find the plug-in. To do this, add the directory containing the plug-in to the plug-in path. From the Opera menu, select Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Content, click Plug-in options, then Change path."

Funny thing is that when I follow the instruction I can get to an option to enable/disable the plugins...but nowhere where I can change the path, despite what it says in the instructions...but then again it does say that they were last updated for v11.60.

So perhaps something has changed again.

I will keep looking.

Regards

Baldrick