Updating to Windows 10 v1809 Deactivates Built-in Admin Account

• 2 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
January 2nd 2019, By Sergiu Gâtlan

The built-in Administrator account will be automatically deactivated when upgrading from Windows 10 version 1803 to Windows 10 version 1809 according to a post published on Microsoft's Japanese Technet blog.

Moreover, the issue arises only under certain conditions, when the built-in Administrator account is active, and there are other accounts on the machine which also have Administrator permissions.

Full Article.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
This is an odd one as I didn't see anything on my 2 main laptops or in any of my VM's, but 1809 is turning out to be a bad build for some and in this case it's the built in Admin account as I have all of mine setup with my Microsoft Admin account. :@

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Daniel! I am set up the same as you with Microsoft Account/Administrator. I have heard of a few issues with this WU 1809 so I am leary about manually updating it. So I'll wait abit longer to handle the task!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Surprise Surprise...I FINALLY got Windows 10 v1809 to give me the update. In order to get that update/upgrade I had to delete the SoftwareDistribution Folder and run Windows Update Troubleshooter and I disabled/shut down my Security applications. Then I went to Settings/Windows update and low and behold there it was. So far I lost my Gadjets on the desktop and I had to enter password for my Network. Still looking around for any other issues....

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sorry I was off Topic I guess in my last post...but I got my Gadgets back..

But so far I am not having the Deactivation that is built-in Administrator Account issue. At leaset not that I know of.:D

Thanks @ for the News Article!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Surprise Surprise...I FINALLY got Windows 10 v1809 to give me the update. In order to get that update/upgrade I had to delete the SoftwareDistribution Folder and run Windows Update Troubleshooter and I disabled/shut down my Security applications. Then I went to Settings/Windows update and low and behold there it was. So far I lost my Gadjets on the desktop and I had to enter password for my Network. Still looking around for any other issues....

Awesome!