Want your Start Button back in Windows 8?

• 15 January 2013
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies
There are a lot of positives about Windows 8, but one of the top negatives I always hear about is how some users really miss their Start button.  While Windows 8 has its own unique Start screen that works very well once you get used to it, it's also quite a leap in terms of a design change.  For users that don't care much for the new Start screen, they might benefit from having the old Start Menu back.

Unsurprisingly, a number of third parties immediately started working on bringing back the old Start Menu as soon as they could.  In this article, ArsTechnica reviews some of the top apps that bring back the Windows Start Menu.  The various apps will restore a familiar XP, Vista, or Windows 7 feel to the Windows 8 Desktop.  One of the reviewed apps is even free.  So, if you're missing the classic Windows Start Menu from prior Windows incarnations and want to bring it back in Windows 8, take a look.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Using Windows 8 without the Start button took me a little bit of getting used to it, but after a week or three, I did not miss it too much.