Was jsut wondering what ever happened to ' Norton " remember it use to be the best on the market

• 6 January 2016
  • 3 replies

what Happened to Norton it use to be the best on the Market and came preinstalled on every P/C
why did it fall by the way side just courious ?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?

I answered this at your post in the Getting Started Guide. https://community.webroot.com/t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/Getting-Started-Guide/tac-p/234859#M52

Hope that post has helped to answer your question?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Guess the same thing happened with others that got too confident and didn't evolve enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hi and welcome ?

That is a misconception people seem to have that if something is available everywhere it has to the best.
Take new computers for example, if the makers get a decent "cut" of course they will preinstall them.
If you walk into any PC shop there will be piles of Norton there at discounted prices, are they best? In my opinion not by a long way but there marketing was good because when people see something everywhere they assume it is the best.

? and ? explained things very well. But it all depends on what you want. If you want something that has everything possible in a program then maybe Norton is for you but what you are not told is that all those extra add-ons will cause things to slow down in some instances. They are also huge programs and do take a long time to install and keep updated.

Whereas if you want something with a light footprint with no slow downs, fast scans, innovative  and always up to date then Webroot is what you need but I don't think you need telling that as you have choisen the best already.