Solved

Webcam Remote Access Undetected

• 26 January 2013
  • 12 replies

A recent local news report (WYFF-4) showed a remote access via webcam that was undetected.  The story said only a processional could detecy if your computer was infected with the virus that allowed that to happen.  Is Webroot protecting me against such an intervention?  This evening I noticed that my Webcam light was on.  I had not invoked my Webcam software and I immediately shut down my computer..
icon

Best answer by JimM 28 January 2013, 17:37

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Welcome to the forums Jim!

I would like to hear more information regarding this.  This kind of malware/spyware capability has been around for quite some time, and so I would tend to think that it would be detected.  Does the article give any specific information such as the name of the malware/spyware?

In your case, it might be a new threat that has not yet been identified.  Webroot's cloud provides protection pretty much as soon as a new threat has been identified.  You might want to Submit a Trouble Ticket as that is the required point of contact for any matters involving infections or possible infections.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
This is a great question, Jim! Welcome!

I have not heard of WSA offering webcam protection against untrusted programs. Can a Webroot employee please investigate ASAP? This should not be hard to integrate into the identity shield system.

Know that if you suspect your computer has an infection you can open a support ticket and they can help you out by giving a quick look.
Userlevel 7
I already tested WSA against Webcam vulnerabilities in the past and WSA successfuly passed test with Zemana test webcam logger. So I believe we should be fine. However, Webroot folks let us have reassured.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello jim543 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Have a look at Active Processes to see if there is anything running under "Monitor" have a look here where to access that area. And report back if there is anything being "Monitored" with the name of the proccess. But I agree with my fellow Members to be sure your system is clean Submit a Support Ticket and they can gather some log files and they will let you know for sure.

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
A recent local news report (WYFF-4) showed a remote access via webcam that was undetected.  The story said only a processional could detecy if your computer was infected with the virus that allowed that to happen.  Is Webroot protecting me against such an intervention?  This evening I noticed that my Webcam light was on.  I had not invoked my Webcam software and I immediately shut down my computer..
Hi Jim543 and welcome to the forums! You and I might be in the same state as I know exactly where WYFF is located, right there on Rutherford Rd. 

Let us know what programs show up in the Monitored state on yoru computer. 

BTW - I actually know of a person who put black electrical tape over the webcam lens on his laptop. Now that is security!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
As a sidenote, on all my computers I always unplug or turn off any sensors when not in use. If you have a laptop and want to know for a fact that the webcam and mic are not recording you, turn them off in the BIOS itself and set a setup password so it can not be modified. If you uninstall/turn off the device in Windows it can easily be turned back on or reinstalled without your knowledge. Turning it off in the BIOS takes the setting away from the effects of malware.

And while you're in the BIOS, turn off your Firewire/1394 port as well. It's a security vulnerability if someone gets their hands on your computer when it's in the lockscreen. Mostly if you're facing the CIA, though. 🙂
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I already tested WSA against Webcam vulnerabilities in the past and WSA successfuly passed test with Zemana test webcam logger. So I believe we should be fine. However, Webroot folks let us have reassured.
This is correct. ^

Explanoit is also correct that the webcam can't be used against you if it's turned off in the BIOS.  That can be a little annoying though having to reboot whenever you want to turn it on and then reboot to turn it off again when you're done.  Webroot already protects you against malicious screencaptures/webcam usage, so unless you want to be extra, extra cautious, you won't need to do that as a Webroot customer.
I want to thank all who responded to my post about the Webcam Access.  I have received both highly technical and other helpful advice about what to do.  I will monitor my Webcam usage both visually and from the Task Manager level to spot intervention as suggested.  Thank you all again.

Jim
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Wow! Thank you to all of you for letting me know this! Another reason I've been ever holding back getting a webcam... Among other reasons... 
Jim, I have been taping my webcam and double taping, the mix port next to the cam since 2011, when I lost 2 laptops to Unknown virus/worm/unknown. I have been fighting a much more sophisticated attack, that resembles that one.
I stripped my laptop of WiFi and lan cards, as well as modem, the. two removable USB ports from the motherboard and for good measure,I cracked open the display, and took out the camera and mic. I then removed the two antennae's which are apparently UHF, which it states on the label. I was happy to find another sticker that said " Approved by the Pakistan Government" ThIs on a HP G71-340US Model.
THEY WERE STILL ABLE TO MANIPULATE AND TAKE OVER MY LAPTOP!
Nothing is safe.
One common denominator is Dish TV , as it was in three locations that I was living at in 2010, 2011, And now in 2014. I also notice less problems when I am only running in battery. I am on my 5th day with. A brand new Toshiba, despite taking care to setup on a very secure network that my brother runs. Am having some luck running Win 8, but I get attacked daily, even if I use a secure net in another town with r state. I haven't even plugged a USB in
Nothing, is secure.
Userlevel 7
I think you going a bit over the top. I can half understand taping over webcams but removing antenna from PC`s? 
Userlevel 7
Hi davidostrowski

Welcome to the Community Forums...assuming that you meant to post here...as I am not sure who Jim is.  Might you have posted a reply in the wrong response box...by any chance?

Anyway, whilst you are here I would go further than Roy and say that you are way over the top as far as I am concerned...if what you say is true then I would say the webcam is the least of your worries and you should look at your situation in general...and ask yourself...if this is happening to me, then why?

Regards

Baldrick