Webroot Webinar - Evolution of Encrypting Ransomware Oct 23 2014

• 23 September 2014
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This should be a very good one! Given by @ Tyler Moffitt-Senior Threat Research Analyst, Webroot

Encrypting ransomware is a key term in the title as just ransomware is broad and can include threats that are very different, easy to detect, and don't encrypt files at infection - the key differentiation point that gives these threats the upper hand against AV.

The presentation is going to be on all the encrypting ransomwares we've seen thus far. It will cover in-depth features of each one and how malware authors made improvements as time went on. There is quite a few so it will be a full presentations worth (cryptolocker, dir-crypt, cryptowall, cryptodefense, zero-locker, critroni, synolocker, cryptographic locker). I'll show from start to finish of an infection and what a user will experience and will highlight social engineering tactics along with the methods of payment circumventing money mules. And of course will end with our product and functionality. Journaling capability will be clearly stated in a fashion that highlights its strength, but not in a way that would lead to false assumptions.

https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/8241/127363

Daniel 😉

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I will cross that date off on my calendar.I'm very much looking forward to that presentation.Should be quite interesting:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you happen to miss it you can always watch after as they record them but if it's live you can ask questions!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Today is the day in just over 3 hours from the time of post!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
I just registered Daniel, I'll be watching. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Starts in less then 37 minutes!

Userlevel 7
Take notes for me Daniel 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Take notes for me Daniel :)
Why you can watch it live and even ask questions?
Userlevel 7
Company at the house... I can get away with a quick glance and a quick reply, but not a Webinar at the moment 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Okay they do record it and you can watch at a later time!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Okay they do record it and you can watch at a later time!

Daniel ;)
Awesome!  I will watch it tonight once kids are in bed 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Daniel!

I've got it and watching!! Thanks!!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you, I forgot about this one and I have it on now.
Userlevel 7
Thanks Daniel, excellent presentation and I learned a lot about Webroot. I'm the one that asked about WSA Backup & Sync and  Ransomware. I'm sure glad Webroot has us completely covered from all angles.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It was awesome info!

Daniel

http://images.clipartpanda.com/smiley-face-thumbs-up-cartoon-yTkeza64c.png
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters,

Daniel it was awesome presentation but I need to watch again to obsorb more!:D
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Webrooters,

Knowing me I will probably have to watch it 2 or 3 times to really absorb enough to keep in memory LOL!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Daniel that was a great presentation but I need to watch again so I can obsorb more!!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Webrooters,

I always do and it makes it easier to explain to others!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Daniel that was a great presentation but I need to watch again so I can obsorb more!!;)
Yea, I'm going to watch it a few times and take notes with all the awesome information given out. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
A great presentation Daniel, I will have to watch it again though but things were well explained.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I loved it too - so interesting to see all the different ransomwares in action.