What do you use for tweaking / cleaning/ managing your windows 8/8.1 systems?

Userlevel 5
Badge +24
I personally use Windows 8 Manager by Yamicsoft and it does my job usually.
It has many tools to manage startup, registry, network, uninstaller, metro app manager, UI tweaks, hosts editor, drives manager etc
Do you use it or/and have an alternate opinion?

25 replies

Userlevel 7
I use Ccleaner. There are plenty of in-built tools in Win 8.1 for tweaking. I use few of them. I try to keep it simple.:)
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
And for uninstallers I prefer Revo uninstaller, it does make really clean unistalls. The new feature "logs databases" for popular apps is quite effective too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
To date, there are many different programs to clean up hard drive and registry, alternative uninstaller and defragmenter, tweaking and all sorts of other programs that, according to their manufacturers can significantly speed up and optimize the OS.

In fact, the presence of unused registry settings on the performance and, especially, the stability of the operating system can not influence in any way. Windows to him just does not appeal. Operating speed does not increase, despite the advertising producers such "cleaner" and agitation on the part of their users. A stability may even worsen significantly. The only beneficial effect of such a procedure - release a few kilobytes of hard disk space by removing the registry. But you will agree that in this case the need for it immediately disappears.

However, the procedure of cleaning the registry is potentially dangerous. Often this can lead to malfunction as the operating system and a set of applications. Moreover, such problems can be detected immediately, but after a few months. In such cases, set the root cause is very difficult, and it entails a considerable loss of time to diagnose and attempt to restore the normal operation of the system, and sometimes even reinstalling. And, worst of all, in this case, such problems did not associate a user with registry cleaning procedure a month ago, so it will continue to step on the same rake

In some cases, can actually have a situation where you can clean your registry and need. However, only when there is a practical necessity. And only when you know exactly what to delete.

The best choice at the moment ccleaner (you can add ccenhancer) & Revo

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I would strongly suggest that before tweakin or cleaning anything,that you backup your system regularly prior to doing so.This is where most pc users go wrong.They don't back up a thing,and then they brick their system fooling around,and then make Best Buy's geek squad rich.I'm not a huge Revo fan,and am definitely against using it to remove security software.I have been in contact with many people who have done so and later regretted it.CCleaner is a decent tool for registry cleaning and is in most cases safe.It's not everly aggressive.If you are happy with what you are using,stick with it.I would just implement a backup regimen if you have not already done so.Changing software just to possibly try and eek out a small gain in performance will usualy get you into trouble,as sometimes the software creates far more problems than it solves.
Userlevel 7
I use Geek Uninstaller. I only trust Ccleaner with cleaning registry entries. Apart from these two I don't use any other 3rd party tweaking tools.
Userlevel 7
I have said it before, you really dont need to clean the Windows registry. IF you do I would be very cautious. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi superssijan...I noticed you use JV Powertools 2014. I've used JV for many many years. Yes backup everything including the registry. ..have crashed numerous times for tweaking but I've never made the Gueeksquad rich yet. Smiley/ wink...

Your right about CCleaner is user friendly and far less aggressive...but you still need to be careful with all these registry cleaners. For some reason I've always thought RCleaners were an important part of maintenance . But...always be careful with changes to the OS if you don't know what you are doing but sometimes it's necessary to fix the registry if you can't get rid of a bad program or and entries that can't be fixed from Windows normal tools.
Userlevel 7
I use CCleaner mostly for cleaning temporary files after browsers activities and haven't had any problems with this software so far.
I like CC, because the pro version gives an opportunity to clean temps automaticly, just after you shut down the browser.
For other maintenances I usually rely on Windows tools.
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Miquell wrote:I like CC, because the pro version gives an opportunity to clean temps automaticly, just after you shut down the browser.
It can be configured in the browser, without using third-party programs.
It is also possible job in the private browser mode.
Or another way:
In order to be able to fully customize the automatic cleaning all your private information in Google Chrome, install the extension Click & Clean
Click & Clean for firefox
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
It can be configured in the browser, without using third-party programs.
It is also possible job in the private browser mode.

I know ;)
Userlevel 7
Would suggest that you take a look at SlimCleaner, from the SlimUtilities company.  As good if not better than CCleaner, and uses the cloud in terms of its determinations, etc.  It is gentler than CCleaner.

I would keep away from jv16 PT; have been using it and its freeware predecessor for over 10 years and have finally ditched it due to it going downhill and causing so many issues.  The old PowerTools was great...but since it has been under the control of Macecraft...well, the usual story.  Beware, and have a back up or image to hand.

Another good set are the Wise apps; Wise Disk Cleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner & WiseCare 365.  Never had an issue with any of these...again worth a look if one has not done so...and are looking for a good, free utility app.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Baldrick great. Ill have a look at these..thanks
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Slimdrivers seem to be a good driver update utility too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Dtouch ill check that out too:D
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
https://www.slimwareutilities.com/
Userlevel 7
Hi dtouch

Yes, it is not bad but to be honest its source database is relatively small.  When it comes to drivers in general the larger and better maintained the driver database the better the product, so I tend to use a paid for app...like PerfectUpdater.

But if looking for a free app then one can try DuMO (the brother of the already famous SuMO)...have not  used it myself but SuMO is very good IMHO, so no reason to think that DuMO won't be.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +24
Baldrick , have you ever taken a look at Yamicsoft Windows Managers.
Skip registry optimizer.. their tool provides many other features to optimize tweak as well as repair common issues we face with Windows, a comprehensive hosts editor, network tweaker, disc immuinty, startup manager, services manager etc.
I would like to know your take on it after trying it.
http://www.yamicsoft.com/
Userlevel 7
Hi dtouch

I will certainly take a look at this as I am always interested in new software of this type but to be truthful I am and have been for a very long time a fan of System Mechanic...right back from when it first started...and to be honest very little else comes close to it in terms of features, reliability & safety other than Advanced System Optimizer (ASO).

If yo are interested on thos sorts of application then check out what is on offer at http://www.tweaking.com...a small but innovative outfit that does IMHO so class freeware in the aread of Windows Recovery, Tweaking, etc...and let me know what you think...;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
HHey, i used System Mechanic forever. It was my favorit program ...the good ol days..
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I only use WSA's System Optimizer & CCleaner but not the registry cleaner as Roy said earlier it can do more damage than good in most cases!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yes TH lets not forget about WSA optimizer. How easy is that.  Almost forgot about that...:D
Userlevel 7
Hi S Sherjj

And I still use SM today as, as I said before, it behaves faultlessly and has not caused me any issues at all for as long as I can remember.  If someone is looking for a paid solution then that is the one that I recommend...hands down.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello, Baldrick, I am very familiar with SM. I've been lax on these maintenance programs of lately. Would like to get the paid version back because it was a good one....sometimes the free programs aren't quite the best...in my opinion .
Userlevel 7
Hi S Sherjj

I believe that there is a new minor version (12.7) due out very shortly and iolo.com have been pushing a 50% off offer for subscription renewals so you might want to wander on over there and take a look.

I will PM you the details so as not to hijack the thread.

Hope that is of assistance?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Baldrick , Thats good news ...