What is a safe and competent application to clean my laptop?

Any suggestions on a product to 'clean' my laptop from whatever slows it down.  Thank you..

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi bluecreeken and welcome!

It depends on what you mean by clean?

If you mean an application to get rid of junk/temp/unnecessary files that fill up your computer over time, there are several well known good ones out there in both paid and free versions.  I know quite a few members here who use CCleaner and or SlimCleaner.  These apps also perform some superficial registry cleaning.  I have and use both regularly and have never had any issues caused by using them.  Of course it is always a good idea to make a restore point until you get comfortable with the app and how to use it.

Don’t forget a good disk defragmentation can help speed your disk access if you have many fragmented files.

If you are talking about apps that get deeper into the system and registry, I would not recommend them unless you really know what you are doing and for sure have a backup, restore point, and or registry backup on hand in case you need to recover.

Good luck,
Dave
For the most part I agree completely with @. But I would like to add that in today's world many many Laptops are now coming standard with a SSD as the OS drive with a larger hard drive as a data drive. With this said the advice of Defragmenting your system could not be more incorrect. You must NEVER EVER defrag a SSD. First it doesn't speed up anything because a SSD stores all files in a static way, thus they never become fragmented. Second reason is because a SSD has a limited Read/Write capability and this will actually harm the drive and lastly, defragging a SSD actually will interfere with a built in process called trim and will more often then not make the SSD slower in the long run.

Now if you have an actual hard drive as a OS drive then defragging is an excellent way to speed things up and is highly recommended. I guess the bottom line is to find out what specs the laptop has and go from there. So after you find out the specs you can tackle the problem head on, but untill then we can only guess on how to resolve it.

Hope you find that information helpful and good luck getting your system back up to it's speed old self.