What is Android Rooting? Is it safe to Root android?

• 8 March 2015
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52

What Is Android Rooting?

You probably have heard about iPhone jailbreak. Rooting is jail-breaking for Androids which allows users to dive deeper into a phone’s sub-system. It’ll allow you to access the entire operating system and be able to customize just about anything on your Android. If you gain root access, you can bypass any restrictions that your manufacturer or carrier may have applied. Moreover, you can run more apps than before, overclock your processor and use custom Rom.
 Rooting an Android phone allows Android users to boost their handset’s operating performance, install non-approved applications and otherwise modify their phone to their liking. Often inexperienced users are likely to “brick” their phones (make them useless by modifying them incorrectly) if they try the rooting procedure without following proper guidelines. You should root an Android phone carefully, as it normally voids the phone’s warranty.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
I remember my smartphones rooting - HTC and Samsung.
The first approach was a failure and I had a lot of problems with restoring my Wildfire S to its, at least the proper, functioning :$
The further attempts with Sensation and Galaxy S3/S4 were much more successful :D
Indeed, the possibilities offered with making this operation might be useful, especially for more advanced users (even AV software can offer better protection on rooted Android, mainly because of a wider restrictions), but the procedure is not always as easy as it's described in many tutorials.
For me it's a bit of a lottery, which, apart from a loss of warranty, always implies a fairly high risk that something can go wrong or something unpredictable might appear.
After a long time, I came to the conclusion that rooting Android is not really something I needed and my current Note 4 is still running on the factory software from Samsung.

Of course it's all up to the user! ;)

Anyway, many thanks for sharing a really cool and important article Petr!