I’ve been tinkering around with a lot of programs to keep my machine running smoothly. Here’s what I’ve settled on for the time being.
- I run Webroot Clean Up Now several times a day. Since it only takes a couple of minutes, this is effortless.
- I run Windows Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter at least once a day, simultaneously. Also effortless. I think Windows Disk Cleanup may be duplicative of Webroot Clean Up, but I’m not certain about that. Of course, Webroot does not presently offer a Disk Defragmenter feature (arguably, I think it should ;)). Windows Disk Cleanup takes about 1-10 minutes, whereas Windows Disk Defragmenter takes about 2-20 minutes.
- I run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware quick scan or Webroot’s Scan Now once a day. I alternate. Each takes about five minutes. Webroot has an effective A/M feature, but layering in this area is probably a good idea, particularly given that Malwarebytes offers a lifetime license for about $20.00.
- I run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware deep scan once a week. This takes a couple of hours, and while it doesn’t slow things down too much, I usually run it when I’m away from my computer.
- I run East-Tec Eraser once a week. This is a long process, taking upwards of 10 hours, depending upon the type of scan I do. If you have security concerns, this progam is worth a look. I usually run it when I’m out of the office for the day.
What’s your routine?