what is your personnel opinion on windows 10 I prefer windows seven i olly play games

Userlevel 6
windows 7 verses windows 10 ido not need the hassel of switching over? please help

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mrfloppy66

I have not yet upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 but have from Windows 8.1, and I have to say that the experience was excellent and if anything the tablet I did this on is runnng slightly quicker...but I suspect that if you have a gaming rig then you most likely will not notice a difference.

I take it that you have Googled this question on the web as when I do I get loads of opinions from all sorts of sources as to wether one should or should not...but unfortunately the advice is not clear cut and I suspect that this will be the case here.

Well, Windows 7 is supported until 2020 as far as I know and if yo only game on the system yo are referring to, and it is working well for you now, then I suppose the maxim 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' could well apply...and therefore you should not upgrade. ;)

But having said that you can be sure that the games that you play will move on and you may eventually find that you are at a disadvantage as a result.

Not sure if this helps?  But hopefully it gives you some food for thought whilst you await more learned counsel?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
I usually adopt the maxim quoted by Baldrick - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and can see no reason to update Win7. From reading several of the reviews, there seems little or no speed improvement and a definite loss of privacy, albeit manageable by turning off 14 or so options that are on by default. Who needs that?

Having said that, Win 7 will go the way of XP in five years time according to MS, so it is the future whether we like it or not. I only have one PC and will ulilise my usual lazy method of updating, namely wait until I need a new PC! If nothing else, by the time I get there, they should have ironed out all the kinks!

Userlevel 7
If I might make a suggestion.

At the moment, if you have the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, DO IT.  After the upgrade, you have 30 days in which you can revert back to Windows 7, but you can re-upgrade at any time.  Why not go ahead and make sure you are a 'registered free upgrade user', and then revert to 7. Once the kinks are worked out, you can then re-upgrade to 10.

:)

I might be all wrong on this, and please someone correct my logic if need be, I will not mind at all
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters,

I've upgraded to W 10 and I love it. But I also have the luxury to have another computer running W 7 Pro and I have both worlds. I have to say the upgrade was flawless and I do need to protect my privacy and I am willing to go along with the updates and kinks with W 10!

As ? saids; you can always revert back to 7 in the allowed 30 days after. That's always a plus. But I do understand peoples concern with changes and leaving there comfort zone. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Nothing wrong with your logic ? but it's a matter of personal choice and I am quite happy with my Win7 Pro for the time being. When I buy a new PC it will have a squeeky clean install of Win 10 on it and will have saved me the hassle of upgrading, sorting out any issues, downgrading etc, etc.

I have no reason to believe that W10 is any more secure than W7 but do know that W10 wants to invade my privacy in a way that my existing W7 doesn't.

As for moving out of my comfort zone ?, you are dealing with someone who only moved onto W7 from XP (with a new PC of course!) less than two years ago! Mind you there were no free upgrades back then! :D

Nemo
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
If I might make a suggestion.

At the moment, if you have the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, DO IT.  After the upgrade, you have 30 days in which you can revert back to Windows 7, but you can re-upgrade at any time.  Why not go ahead and make sure you are a 'registered free upgrade user', and then revert to 7. Once the kinks are worked out, you can then re-upgrade to 10.

:)

I might be all wrong on this, and please someone correct my logic if need be, I will not mind at all
And if one is sly and takes an image of the system drive before upgrading the restore to Windows 7 is even quicker than rolling back.  And for good measure, take an image of the just upgrade Window 10 and then one can go backwards and forwards to ones heart's content...in theory. ;)

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Hi Nemo

From what I read Windows 10 is more secure than Windows 7...but as to whether that is a suffcient incentive to take the plunge...I don't know.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nemo,

XP was my all time favorite and I still paid for 3 copies of W 7 and had to upgrade the hardware on one pc. LOLs. So waiting to buy a new pc with the newly W 10 makes sense doesn't it? I've always jumped the gun for MS OSes. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Well I seem to be your polar opposite Sherry, call be a "late adopter", perhaps even a very late adopter! I can honestly say that I have never updated a Windows operating system (although I did have to do a clean re-install once) and hard as they try, I suspect that Windows will not get me to change!

As for security ?, I would be interested to hear in what ways W10 is considered more secure?

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Hi Nemo

Just Google the question and you will find a very large number of articles debating the topic and if you sort the 'wheat from the chaff'...IMHO...Windows 10 appears to come out as more secure than Windows 7.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Baldrick

Well I already did and have just had another quick look  but haven't come across anything convincing. As I said before, it's a matter of personal choice and I'm quite happy to stay in the Dark Ages for the time being. :D

Nemo
Userlevel 7
But of course, Nemo, it is indeed one of personal choice (having typed this from a very recently converted Winodws 7 > 10 system...and am loving it).

This all started with a query about whether one should upgrade a Window 7 platofrm to 10 on which just games are played, and I believe that in the case of that the answer is 'No'...but for anything else...my honest answer would be 'Yes.
Hey floppy Yea I hate how they tried to push selling it hiding it as an offical update, then your kinda [edited] cause you won't get anymore updates till you buy the[edited] thing. There are video instructions on how to lose and remove this 'update' from your computer. The update may still show up every now and then but eventually they do stop