Where did my blue windows back round go ?

• 20 January 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi again to all my new friends.  Well after following all the suggestions about the 32gb little side storage thing I did download windows 10.  It seemed to be working ok.  I had to look at different things like most people.  Anyway about an hour ago I had a message on my screen that they were tweaking a few things, when I came back to it the blue windows back ground was no longer there, but my windows 7 background was back (my cats picture).  I didn't know if I was back to 7 or still had 10! I downloaded again and this time I got a warning if I continued I would not be able to go back to 7 ever .  I clicked cancel.  Does anybody know what is going on ?
Thank you

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
? first thing to know ... You cancelled this second upgrade?? Wel now click on the Windows button and R at the same time  and in the search field type winver and then press enter...
Thyis will show you a screen that tells you what version of windows you are running.. Tell me the version and build please .. If your windows 10 version you have at the moment is not 1511 and the build anything lower then 10586.29 .. well then you might have been trying to install the November 2015 first big update from Windows 10... That's about what i can think of right now.
Userlevel 7
Hi petsitter95

I believe that Edwin is correct in that it is unlikely that Microsoft would automatically roll you back to Windows 7...if they have done then that is the first time I have heard of that happening. What it could be is that further to you update to Windows 10 Windows UPdate has automatically installed a whole load of updates to bring your system up to the latest level (there is little one can do about that as Microsoft have very much made it impossible to prevent updates from happening now).

From what you say "message on my screen that they were tweaking a few things, when I came back to it the blue windows back ground was no longer there, but my windows 7 background was back" it sounds like the above is the case but another easier way to check visually is to see whether you are seeing the following in the bottom left hand corner of you Desktop:

What I have outline is the new, WIndows 10 style Start button. If yo are seeing that then you are definitively on Windows 10.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Hello again

Ok I am running  1511 10586.63  I did a bit of searching through settings and the like and saw that under  personilazition (maybe) it had choices of background pictures.  It had these before,but the difference this time is the picture I had on windows 7 was now included (my cat)  I am thinking they just put that back because it was on my original screen.  I don't know, just a thought.
The ask me anything sentence is at bottom of screen and the little window andwhat looks like an open book to me.
Thanks again for all the help.

Kathy
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Kathy
if you do a straight upgrade it will copy certain setting from your profile like the wallpaper...
What's this thing about the open book at the bottom?? If you can't explain it just take a screenshot & show it here.
Edwin
Userlevel 2
Hi

The "open book" is the 3rd thing you have. I just realized it is called the task manager.
Userlevel 7
No, that is NOT the Task Manager but the Task VIEW, which allows you to manage multiple Desktops and tab/switch between them.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
oh you are right ! I see that now. Thanks again