Whirlpool’s “Internet of Things” problem: No one really wants a “smart” washing machine

• 28 October 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
 Now I'm waiting for the puns...they must have been in a spin to think of this :D

Whirlpool's $1,699 "smart" -1021442/WFL98HEBU/]washing machine boasts Wi-Fi and a colored control screen, can be started from an iPhone app, and will text or email you when your clothes are ready to dry -- in, as Whirlpool prefers, its $1,699 "smart" dryer. But if you're wondering who would want to buy an Internet-enabled washing machine, you're not alone. Even Whirlpool's not so sure.
"We’re a little bit of a hammer looking for a nail right now," Chris Quatrochi, Whirlpool's global director of user experience and connectivity, said last week at a conference hosted by tech blog Gigaom.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/10/28/whirlpools-internet-of-things-problem-no-one-really-wants-a-smart-washing-machine/

7 replies

Userlevel 7
I really do not think even a politician could put a good 'spin' on this one.....

:)
Userlevel 7
Personally, I think this idea is 'all washed up'.

Sorry, I just couldn't help it LOL!

EDIT:

Really, whoever was in charge of the Dev team on this, as well as the executives who approved it, should be 'hung out to dry' by the stockholders for wasting all the dev time and $$.

Again... I could not help myself LOL!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Personally, I think this idea is 'all washed up'.

Sorry, I just couldn't help it LOL!

EDIT:

Really, whoever was in charge of the Dev team on this, as well as the executives who approved it, should be 'hung out to dry' by the stockholders for wasting all the dev time and $$.

Again... I could not help myself LOL!
That is just what I was going to say David ;)
Seriously though all these companies are being taken to the cleaners by the developers trying to come up with new ways to connect everything. When they get stuck with all these items going to waste in the showrooms they will try to off load them all in big sales promotions, but it is obvious to everyone that it will just be a washout.
Userlevel 7
I see this all of the time with some of these newer high-tech appliances. Not only do our customers not care about most of the bells and whistles such as the dryer sending a message to your cell phone to let you know your clothes are done, we are seeing that customers simply don't care. They want a machine that works. Period.

Besides, some of these companies are over-engineering these machines and actually causing problems that should not exist. We are seeing that software issues are causing as many problems and mechanical parts nowadays. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Oh no, someone hacked into my washing machine and ran my delicates on the cotton cycle!  My poor cashmere!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Oh no, someone hacked into my washing machine and ran my delicates on the cotton cycle!  My poor cashmere!
Did it mess up your lace too?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
As long as they don't turn on the Media Player to the Village People, I think you will be OK

:)