Wi-Fi Password?

• 25 January 2014
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi'ya peeps!

I've just got a Kobo Touch e-reader (£30 through the Money Saving Expert website!) and have been trying to connect it to the web but don't know which password to use, there is a password and a passphrase on the router and (as instructed by Virgin help) I've tried putting the passphrase (wireless settings) in but it dosen't accept it; not sure if I should try the password (super hub settings) in case I somehow muck things up.

Yet again, any help would be brill.  :@

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

I would try enteringthe password as I cannot see how entering it can muck things up...it will either be accepted and connect or not accepted so no connection.  I would give it a go.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

What is occuring re. connecting your eReader via WiFi?  Any update as to success or continued frustration?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda!

On my own wireless router, in the Wireless settings, I can set a passphrase.  That, in turn, creates they KEY.  The keys are different from one security setting to another.  I need to use the key on my computer that matches the security setting I have it set for.

Does that help at all?
Userlevel 7
Good point David...the other thing that I had not thought to ask is, Linda, how complex is the passphrase you were trying.  Hopefully it is quite complex & at least alphanumeric...and there in can lie the problem...as it is easy to mistype complex passphrases/passwords, especially on some of the smaller devices where keyboard and screen are not the biggest.

May be worth checking that, and even getting a trusted person to read you the passphrase whilst you type it in, concentrating on the keyboard?

Just a  thought.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Well, I don't know whether to call it success or what, but after going round and round in circles, I've just noticed that the signal bars have suddenly appeared, I don't know what I've done but no doubt I'll work it out.

By the way the passphrase has only 8 alpha characters to it, a really easy one! How do I change it?
Userlevel 7
Hopefully you will be up and working!

You should be able to change the passphrase by logging into your router and going to Wireless Settings.
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Great stuff...good to hear.

As David said it should be as easy as getting into the router admin page, usually accessed via your web browser by typing in a given IP address, and then finding the wireless settings.  I use a Netgear router, which has a standard admin access method across all models so if yo do to I should be able to help.

But if your router is provided by your ISP then it would be worth checking with them as to how to do this as some ISPs customise the admin page...hence best to check.

In terms of a new passphrase you want something memorable to you but harder to guess or crack; one option is to substitute characters for numerals & vice versa...as an example; take 'LoopyLinda' which would turn into 'L009yL1nd4'...which should be much harder to guess...and as long as you are consistent with the transposition, i.e., a letter translates to the same number every time, etc., then yo should not forgot the passphrase.

Of course, 'LoopyLinda' would not necessarily be a good base passphrase to convert as it is public and may be guessable...but hopefully you get my drift?

Hope that helps?

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards

Solly
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Heyyyy! Thanks for all the good advice, no doubt I'll sort something out; I do get what you mean about the passwords, I do the same thing for a few already. :)

but,

after getting to the Virginmedia website it has totally frozen up! It won't even turn off and worried that the display is going to damage the screen. I've tried to un-plug the router for a while (overnight) then back on - no change, although my laptop connects and works fine.

Any ideas? 😞
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Tis' OK now! :)

After playing one of the help videos on the Kobo website I was able to reset it. There's a TINY hole on the back that you have to insert a paperclip for 5 seconds which I didn't notice (wonky eyesight!) Unfortunately my books have gone too - aawwwww!
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

No problem.  ;)

EDIT:  Disregard the following as I have just seen your latest post...glad that is sorted too! :D

When you say that "...it has totally frozen up! It won't even turn off and worried that the display is going to damage the screen" are you saying that cannot click on whatever you usually do to close the browser or what is used to display the Virgin website?

If that is the case then it sounds as if you have a display driver issue (at least that is what it sounds like to me) and unless one of our more learned brotherhood/sisterhood know better...the only thing to do would be to restart the device.

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Linda, 

OUCH, I hate that your books are gone, I hope you can recover those without too much trouble.  Tiny holes for paperclips are to do a Manufacturer Reset: which simply means it resets EVERYTHING back to the way it was fresh out of the box.  All settings are gone, and anything stored in memory too usually.

They are very handy to have, but they have their own problems too as you have seen!
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Yeah, or so I thought, I've been able to sync it with the library and settings held in the Kobo Desktop, everything's back! 😃
Userlevel 7
Yey, nice one Linda...good to hear that yo are all sorted. http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/public/style_emoticons/default/dancing.gif

Regards, Baldrick