Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Active Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
May 5, 2016 7:00 am

Windows 10 Now on 300 Million Active Devices – Free Upgrade Offer to End Soon

By Yusuf Mehdi / Corporate Vice President of Microsoft’s Windows and Devices Group
As we near the one year anniversary of the availability of Windows 10, we’re excited to share that Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices around the world.
We’re pleased to see Windows 10 become one of the largest online services in less than a year. Core to delivering our more personal computing vision, Windows 10 offers experiences that are familiar, safer and more secure, and more personal and productive – enabling innovative new experiences.
We’re seeing people at home, at schools, at small businesses, at large companies, and other organizations adopt Windows 10 faster than ever, and use Windows 10 more than ever before. A few examples:

Read more at: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/05/05/windows-10-now-on-300-million-active-devices-free-upgrade-offer-to-end-soon/
 Maybe they will stop pestering Windows 7 and Windows 8 users after? Not a chance IMO! LOL :D
 Daniel

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Yup July 29th it ends. I have to get my family members up to speed on this to update to W 10 now!:D
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi,

I've been told by a guy in PC World that it would be useless for me to try and upgrade to Windows 10 as my Dell laptop is approx 5 yr old, although I've just had a pop-up telling me that my PC system is OK to upgrade.  Do you think he's just saying this cos they'll want me to wait and buy it from them later?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi LoopyLinda 

I have a 2006 Dell desktop that was running XP. I had to upgrade some of the hardware (Ram & GPU) when upgrading to Windows 7. But I am now running Windows 10 on it smoothly. 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Good to hear from you. Hope that you are keeping well? :D

I am running Windows 10 Pro on a 6-7 year old Desktop which I upgraded from Windows 7. It runs very well indeed...and I agree with Sherry that if the upgrade tool says that it believe that your system is upgradable then I would go with that.

I personally would not trust the knowledge of most staff at PC World...I have had a number of run ins with them, and in most cases they were talking rot.

But if yo do decide to upgrade to remember to backup your precious data...just in case. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi there Baldrick!

Yeah I'm fine thanks, hope you are good; so glad to hear that it runs well for you, and Sherry, I have been waiting for any glitches to be ironed out but as many seem to be happy with it then I think I'll jump in and see what happens! And yes, I'll definitely be backing 'everything' up this time, once bitten.....! 😃 Linda
Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

I am also...thanks for asking. :D

Glad that you are are takingt he plunge...keep us posted on how it goes and you know where to come to if you have any issues (but hopefully not) or any questions about Windows 10. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
I have been wondering if I should upgrade to Windows 10. I have Windows 8.1 right now. I am concerned that it might mess up my Corel Paintshop Program?
Userlevel 7
Hi Amerilei

If you are running WIndows 8.1 & your Corel Paintshop Program is running OK under that then you should have no issues with Windows 10 in respect of runing that program...at least I have not had any issues in terms of programs running initially under WIndow 8/8.1 not running under Windows 10.

But to be safe you should check over at the official website or their support forum to see if evrything is OK under Windows 10, but this link may be of some use to start you off. ;)

In terms of WIndows 10 & WSA you may find this KB Article of use. ;) ;)

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have been wondering if I should upgrade to Windows 10. I have Windows 8.1 right now. I am concerned that it might mess up my Corel Paintshop Program?
Hello,

I would as Windows 10 is way better than Windows 8, 8.1 ever could be and it's a free upgrade just go here to install and the free upgrade ends July 29th, 2016: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Daniel 😉
Thank you for your reply. I will download the Windows 10. I appreciate your help.:D
Thank you. I will check it out.:D
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
I upgraded to Windows 10 but hate it, it's far too intrusive and the Edge browser just won't stop taking over Chrome, I'm having to sign into a Microsoft Account all the time to use things, it's just horrible.  Is there any way to recover Windows 7?  I don't have the recover file any more, just run out of time.  :(

Userlevel 7
Hi Linda

Hope that you are well?

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with Windows 10. Not quite sure what you mean by "it's far too intrusive and the Edge browser just won't stop taking over Chrome"? Perhaps if yo could explain further we could try to assist with resolving these issues for you?

Unfortuantely, if you have exceeded the 30 days 'trial' period in which a reversion to Windows 7 was possible then I do not believe that it is possible to now go back unless you had backed up/imaged the machine using third-party software prior to the upgrade to Windows 10.

The only thing that I can think of is whether you can get a legitimate copy of Windows 7 cheap from somewhere (but always risky because there will be a lot of scammers out there looking to con people).

Not sure if anyone else has any bright ideas re. this?

Regards, Baldrick