Windows 10 overtakes XP and 8.1, still lags behind 7

• 1 February 2016
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Microsoft's latest operating system is now a distant second behind No. 1 Windows 7, according to the latest stats.

February 1, 2016  by Lance Whitney

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2016/02/01/37fdd1e3-abe7-4c71-8767-3e416cbd6300/701db8ec65e8a0a89cb13b0ba88e2729/net-market-share-jan-2016.jpg

Six months after launch, Windows 10 has finally leapfrogged over both XP and 8.1 to become the second most popular desktop operating system in terms of Web traffic.

In January, Windows 10 snagged a global market share of 11.85 percent, up from 9.96 percent in December, researcher Net Market Share reported Monday. The latest number showed a healthy upturn following several months of slower growth in adoption.

Full Article

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well I have upgraded two of my PCs from Windows 7 to Winodws 10. But I haven't been able to achieve the upgrade on my laptop without a continious error. (Win 10 fails with the error message C1900101-20017 "The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation")
And I am not the only one getting this error either, according to online trouble shooting. Look here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/win-10-pro-install-fails-with-error-c1900101-20017/ef56c7f6-dbd8-457e-a495-481074b90af7?auth=1

So hopefully Microsoft will come up with a fix for this?:@

Looks like W 10 will be number 1 soon enough with Microsot pushing the update to recommended!

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Interesting to see XP still hanging in at over 11%. The next six months will no doubt see a boost to converts to Win 10 from 7 & 8.1 as MS push very hard to encourage users to upgrade.  After that however I think the growth will just be organic and at the pace of new PC sales, unless of course MS extend their free upgrade period, which I suspect they will.

As for when W10 overhauls W7, my guess would be a few years yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
WoW way behind Win 7 by a large margin! Win 7 is still my favorite OS and I'm liking Win 10 but only via a clean install had to many bad upgrades and reverted some back to Win 7. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I am happy with W7 and sticking with it until I replace my laptop which, hopefully, is still two or three years away!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nemo!

My one Lenovo laptop is 8 years old.. ugraded to W7 Pro from Vista. I need another year before I can get a new laptop myself! LOLs..., to reap the benefits of Win 10. I do like Win 7 though!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Well W7 has been my favourite by a long way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's still what I'm using both at home and at work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
That's very good ? if your Lenovo is still going strong at 8 years old! I'm very encouraged as mine is also a Lenovo and only just over two years old.

I vowed not to wait until the hard drive starts going wrong like I did with my last one which was a Toshiba Tecra which I had also had for eight years. Mind you this is my one and only PC so I suspect that it might work a bit harder than one owned by the girl who seems to have a different device for every day of the week! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
? ROFLMHO! I can't stop laughing! Really! Too funny you are. I do use my laptop a lot but because I do have other toys I quess that's why my computers last so long? 

Thanks for for the hilarious laugh of my day! Didn't think you noticed! 😉