Windows 10 pending its first big update

• 12 November 2015
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
The first major update to Windows 10 is available for PCs and tablets. With this update, there are improvements in all aspects of the platform and experience, including thousands of partners updating their device drivers and applications for great Windows 10 compatibility.

If already running Windows 10, you will receive the November update according to your Windows Update settings. 
---
But most importantly, with this free update we have reached the point in the platform’s maturity where we can confidently recommend Windows 10 deployment to whole organizations.

Experience improvements in this update include:
  • Performance in everyday tasks, such as boot time now nearly 30% faster than Windows 7 on the same device.
  • With Cortana, you can use your device’s pen** to just scribble a note in the Cortana Notebook and Cortana will recognize the phone number, email address, and even physical address to help you set reminders. Cortana can also now keep track of your event and movie bookings too, sending you helpful reminders to know where to go and get there on time, plus the option to book and track an Uber**. We’re excited to make Cortana available in Japan, Australia, and Canada and India (in English) with features and experiences customized for each market.
  • Microsoft Edge offers improved performance and security, along with tab preview, which allows you to hover over your open tabs and get a preview of what’s on those websites without leaving the page you’re on. Microsoft Edge now syncs your Favorites and Reading list items across devices so you can easily get back to the content you’re interested in most. And, Cortana will now notify you of the best coupons** from your favorite retailers such as Staples, Macys and Best Buy when shopping in Microsoft Edge.
And much more with improvements to Mail, Calendar, Photos, Groove, Xbox, Store, OneNote, Solitaire, and more!

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you ?,

This all sounds good!;)

Userlevel 7
Thanks, Petr

Looking forward to it, as it shoudl further improve the already excellent initial version of Win 10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I've installed the upgrage and it takes a long time ( almost the same as a clean install ) but guess what. Secure Anywhere survived my update ( i had conveniently not uninstalled it to see if it would work or not afterwards ).
Userlevel 7
Installed this update yesterday evening (WIndows 10 Pro) and the only niggle that I came across was the fact that at the first attempt the update failed when at circa 75% installed.

So ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter which apparently found and repaired a 'registration' issue (not sure why there should have been one as just a few minutes earlier I had installed a Flash update using WU) and on a retry the update redownloaded and then automatically installed.

Total time was some 45 minutes...so pretty quick in my book, but of course that will depend on such things as internet connection, disk space, RAM, etc.

All in all not very much to see that is new (some tidying up, some new minor options, etc.) but all in all a good update which IMHO strengthens Windows 10 over all.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I see a few new things and just noticed a new Remove Hardware Safely Icon! 

Daniel 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
some menu's have changed looks slightly for the rest no major new discoveries here. Haven't tried to see if the mp3 corruption bug's been fixed yet. I have to dump my collection to a cloud if i want to transfer them off my windows 10 machine or else they are all corrupted. Strange thing is that it doesn't happen with any othe audio or video format i have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I have to say,this was the most painless upgrade i've done in some time.Most everything made it over other than it removing CCleaner which i reinstalled.NO issues whatsoever.Will be doing my wife's pc next.Crossing my fingers with than one.First job of the day today,replace this slowly dying HD.Pop the new one in and use Macrium reflect to clone it,then remove the old one.Should be quick and painless.We shall see.