Windows 10’s next major update arrives in October 2018

• 1 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Aug 31, 2018, 11:14am EDT

Microsoft is officially unveiling the name for its next major Windows 10 update today. Previously codenamed Redstone 5, the “Windows 10 October 2018 Update” will arrive at some point in October. It will include a number of new features for devices, like a new cloud clipboard that syncs across machines, a dark File Explorer, an updated snipping tool, improvements to Microsoft Edge, and performance information in the Xbox Game Bar.
Microsoft’s naming follows the Windows 10 April 2018 Update that was released earlier this year. Microsoft is expected to conclude development of the October update by the end of September, and it should be available to Windows Insiders by early October followed by regular consumers.
Microsoft is now focusing on its next Windows 10 update, codenamed 19H1. This update will likely arrive in April 2019, and the company has not yet revealed which major features will be included. Testing for 19H1 begun in late July, and it’s possible we might see the return of the Sets feature that won’t be included in the Windows 10 October 2018 Update.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/31/17805372/microsoft-windows-10-october-2018-update

4 replies

One step closer to monthly subscription charges for Windows 10 :(

From the article...

"Ever since its creation, Microsoft has described Windows 10 “as a service”. The fear has always been that this meant Microsoft would start charging users a monthly fee to maintain the operating system, and now a new leak has confirmed this is exactly what will happen… "
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Yea something like Office 365.
With a ".edu" email address I'm able to receive Office 365 for free. I hope the same is true if/when Windows 10 goes that route.;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
With a ".edu" email address I'm able to receive Office 365 for free. I hope the same is true if/when Windows 10 goes that route.;)
Same with us MS MVP's but I don't use it as I like the full Office and soon Office 2019 will be coming out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2019

But eventually it will be just Office 365 in the near future.