Windows 10 - to install or not to install?

• 15 September 2015
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Hi!

Does anyone out there have any opinion as to the user friendliness of the new Windows 10?

Wondering if I should take up this offer of reserving the free upgrade, or should I wait for any teething problems to be ironed out.

What do ya think?

Linda

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's really up to you I have upgrade 6 systems 4 Win 7 to Win 10 and 2 from Win 8.1 to Win10 but I would suggest to install using this tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 and upgrade using it instead of going through Windows Update! Make sure to fill out the reservation form! And again it's up to you but I do like it.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
You may find this article helpful:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2953655/microsoft-windows/windows-10-review-hold-off-if-you-use-windows-7.html?page=1

The drift is that if you are Win 7 user, hold off but if you are on Win8/8.1, you may as well go ahead.

FWIW, I'm using Win 7 and intend to stay with it. I will buy Win 10 like everyone else when I buy a new PC.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Mmmm, why not upgrade via Windows Update? I would have thought that's the best way.
I find it easier and use the tool to make a bootable USB drive and if you ever need to reinstall you have it! And the Tool does everything so just plug in at least an 8GB USB stick and run the tool and choose 32bit or 64bit and just check your system to see what you have!

HTH,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
But there is absolutely no need to be...just make sure that you have an image of your current system before running the upgrade...and then, if any thing goes wrong or you do not like it you can restore to the image.
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Sorry peeps!

Just seen the article 'Everything you want to know about Windows 10 but are afraid to ask' It's very informative and to the point, just what I was after.

Ta!     :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I like it also.  I upgraded 4 systems using the tool that Daniel mentioned and I have to say that it was the easiest Microsoft upgrade I have done since Windows 1. 

If you don't want the Windows 10 look and feel you can configure it to be 98% Windows 7 in appearance and functionality.  I like that I can disable features that don't appeal to me.

As Daniel said, it's your decision.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for the ZDNet article Dermot. Whilst many seen happy with Win 10, there are too many stories like the author's to get me to change until it's been finally sorted out.

Userlevel 3
August 10, I downloaded WIN 10 on my 9 month old DELL 3542, i3,  with orig. Win 8.1.  It went smooth as silk over att U-Verse DSL line.  I ran malewarebytes before doing so, just to make sure of things.   After down loading, I ran Free Disk Space followed with Defrag HD.

September 16,  I downloaded WIN 10 on my wife's 6 year old Asus, i5, with WIN 7-Home.  Everything went just fine!

I like Win 10 and not much of a change from 8.1 or Win 7.  I haven't figured out what MS Edge is all about.  All I know is  AD Block does not work using EDGE.  With that note, we don't use EDGE.

I downloaded WIN 10 around 1pm CST each time, figuring morning and evenings microsoft severs would be the busiest, But who knows.    WIN 10 is GREAT!!  IMO

Userlevel 7
I have often been accused of being sartorially ahead of the game...but I suspect that 'smarty pants' is going a bit far...;)

I would recommned that you go for a WIndows 10 upgrade as I think that you will, in the long run, regret it if you do not. It is definitievly better than WIndows 7, safer, more secure and faster...what is not to like overall.

But just my thoughts.

PS...I am sure that MS know who has activated and is not running Windows 10 and who is really running it...;)
Userlevel 7
I very much doubt it because once can make a copy to disc at present but if it is not activated by September next year then that will be it...so you will have to take the plunge before then or not at all unless you want to pay £99 for the privilege?

Also, I am not sure what you means by 'gremlins'? I have not seen any so far and with Win 10 being the most tested MS OS in history they have worked out most of the major issues during the Insoder program that ran for over a year before the official release and that involved thousands of beta testers.

You really need to not take the doomsayers at their word. ;)
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Mmmm, why not upgrade via Windows Update? I would have thought that's the best way.
Userlevel 7
Flawless install on both a Windows 7 desktop system that is 6 years old and also on a WIndows 8.1 tablet under 1 year old...no issues what so ever.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I'm going to wait for a good while until I am happy it's more settled, or unless I get a new machine. This recent article was worth a read also imo.  My biggest problem with Windows 10: Instability | ZDNet  

"I'm hoping time and some of these ongoing Cumulative Updates will bring more stability to Windows 10 in the coming months. While I wait for this, I'll keep using Windows 10 on my laptop and hope for better stability. But I'm definitely also not going to be moving my main work machine off Windows 7 in the interim." 
Userlevel 7
If the number is activations alone, does it take into count those of us who have already installed and reinstalled a dozen times as we play with different things LOL? 

Though out of 110 million activations, perhaps 1% of the activations would really be from the fools like me who try their best to break it and have to reinstall.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I'm going to wait for a good while until I am happy it's more settled, or unless I get a new machine. This recent article was worth a read also imo.  My biggest problem with Windows 10: Instability | ZDNet  

"I'm hoping time and some of these ongoing Cumulative Updates will bring more stability to Windows 10 in the coming months. While I wait for this, I'll keep using Windows 10 on my laptop and hope for better stability. But I'm definitely also not going to be moving my main work machine off Windows 7 in the interim." 
Not sure where the information for that article is from but as far as I have seen Windows 10 has been rock solid...not a murmur of instability here.  In my opinion this has been one of the strongest release of Windows for years.

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I don't know Baldrick...It's most likely a classic case of "your mileage may vary", and vast majority are likely quite happy.

Why users have such different experiences in Window 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows   

"Some users report solid performance and very few issues while others feel forced to revert to their previous version of the OS in order to gain back core functionality."
Userlevel 7
I understand where you are coming from but in the main what I have been seeing/reading is what I call c'comfy slipper' mode...I like what I know/I don't like what I don't know...and therefore I will revert back to where I was.

Just my take...based on migrations from XP > Vista & Vista > Windows 7 experiences in the past.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
By Mary Jo Foley for All About Microsoft | October 6, 2015 -- 14:32 GMT (15:32 BST) 

Users have activated more than 110 million copies of Windows 10 since Microsoft began rolling out the operating system on July 29.
That's the latest claim by company officials, as of October 6. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-windows-10-now-running-on-more-than-100-million-devices/
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Wow! That's a good thing right?

You have to keep up with Technology or Microsoft don't you? Debate is on?;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I'm just unclear about whether they're saying 110 million devices are running Windows 10 at present, or if that's the total figure for activations alone, many of which may not now be running the OS? Not sure...

Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Who's a smarty pants then Baldrick?!! 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Ha ha! Do you think they would let me reserve the free download so that I can actually still download it free when they've got all the gremlins out - possibly next year? He he
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
You know me Baldrick - nervously cautious!!
I had it installed ten days ago and the Microsoft techs have been working for two days.  Three different techs, and they have not gotten all the problems fixed with the damage it did.    And by the way, I had them reinstall 8.1  My good old friend who I know I can count on when its important to get the job done.      Johnson615
Userlevel 6
Badge +23
Mmmm, think I'll defo give it a miss then. Sorry that you've had so much grief.