Windows 10 vs. 8.1 vs. 7 Performance Tested, Benchmarked

• 10 August 2015
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
After running the beta for months, I installed Windows 10 on launch day with the impression that it was relatively fast and stable, though it remained to be seen precisely how fast it was compared to Windows 8.1 and the beloved Windows 7.

That's what we plan to find out today as we test various aspects of the operating system including boot up and shutdown times, file copying, encoding, browsing, gaming and some synthetic benchmarks.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Judging by that, you would be hard pushed to make a case for upgrading from Win7, especially with bugs to fix and some inevitable driver issues. I am happy to stick with my trusted W7. 😃
just upgraded to Windows 10. Chrome is responding faster now :<)
Userlevel 7
So far for me, Windows 10 has been one of the best pre-service pack versions of Windows I have ever used. I think Microsoft is on to something here...
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters!

i just love Windows 10. I have to agree with you ?. Microsoft I believe has pulled this new OS off. I've had zero problems since the install of W 10. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I upgraded my wife's laptop this weekend, mainly because it was on Windows 8 (came that way). So far so good, although I haven't played with it much yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I have upgraded multiple systems including desktops, laptop, and mini-notebook.  

Note:
All of my systems are "old" and have had in-place upgrades from Vista to Win7, and then straight to Win10

My experience:
  • The upgrade was easy and overall a good experience.
  • So far I have had at least one app that would not work.  Still checking...
  • I passed on the one WSA issue that I discovered to ?
  • After the upgrade, I noticed that several items did not migrate, mostly driver related issues with card readers and USB in general.
  • Checking the error logs, I found a ton of items to fix in both System and Application areas.
  • As for performance, I have noted all systems are somewhat slower in most all areas.  File transfer is "much" slower.
  • Start-Up times for me are slower.  Initial startup from boot or restart.  (The normal start + the time after Log-In).
  • Shut-Down times are reasonable.
From a security standpoint, I am disappointed in the amount of data collection that goes on behind the scenes and I have disabled all that I could find and what others have reported.

Overall I like the interface and look and feel and I will probably not go back to Windows 7 due to eventual "end of life" and future support issues.   I will wait for some of the items to be worked out or until I find workarounds.

Have a great day,
Dave

Userlevel 7
It is always interesting to see how various systems work.

The startup time on my office computer is about the same. The startup time on my home laptops are much faster though.