Solved

Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 8.1 Pro

Userlevel 7
According to Microsoft's Compare and decide page, the only difference is that Windows 8.1 Pro:

• Provides enhanced data protection with BitLocker and BitLocker To Go to help keep your information secure.
  • Enables you to host a Remote Desktop Connection on your own PC so you can connect to it when you're using a different PC.
  • Allows you to join a domain so that you can connect to your corporate or school network.

Does anyone here have a preference between the two?

icon

Best answer by ams963 13 May 2014, 06:17

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
The owner was quite happy with Windows 8.1 (as he also has that at home) but now he somehow now has the Pro version on his work PC.  I'm thinking of rolling him back to 8.1 it'll be the first time I've tried that. 
If he has the Pro version, why try to roll back to 8.1? Just let him use the Pro version. Let him avoid the Pro features(some of the features like BitLocker will be disabled by deafult anyways) and he'll experience the exact same Windows version in both work and home pcs. And you can introduce him to the Pro features so he can utilize them at work like BitLocker encryption making his Office data more secure.:)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Thanks ams!  It's a thought, but I am facing a delicate situation.  In this instance, change is not good :S

Not to worry at all my friend. Using Pro 8.1 would not be a change. The owner is already happy with 8.1 in his home pc. And he has somehow gotten the Pro version in his work pc. It's not like he has to buy it now or anything. Let him use it. You wouldn't have to work much. Bitlocker, HomeGroup and some other features are disabled in the Pro version by default. You would just need to make sure that the rest of the features in the Pro version is disabled. That's all. The owner wouldn't notice what version he is using unless he opens the System Information window.

And an added advantage would be you can teach him the extra features in Pro version in the future. And when he would understand the better security and networking capabilities of the Pro versioni, he would be very happy.:)

@ wrote:

In addtion, since the administrative assistant is on Windows 7, it makes things difficult when she tries to help the owner.

Make sense?
Just install Classic Shell in the 8.1 Pro Office pc. The assistant should have no problem using 8.1 then. It would be just like Win 7.:)

Or does it work another way. I'm not familiar with administrative office pc environment. But if that causes a problem then you have to get Win 7 on the owner's office pc which would cost him extra money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I always go for the top version so Pro in this case but I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64 and I'm not about to change as I have both Win 8.1 Pro x86 & x64 on VM's.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Like Daniel, I also prefer Win 8.1 Pro. I use and find BitLocker extremely handy when it comes securing my data.
Userlevel 7
Wouldn't disagree with you on that but for most folks they use what comes with the system, as an OEM install...especially given the cost/price of buying another version. 
Userlevel 7
Thanks to everyone thus far.

Let me add the true reason I posted this.  I'm dealing with a small office that has an imbalance in the OS on various client PCs (everything from Server 2003, NT and yes even XP!).  The owner was quite happy with Windows 8.1 (as he also has that at home) but now he somehow now has the Pro version on his work PC.  I'm thinking of rolling him back to 8.1 it'll be the first time I've tried that.

Any other thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Thanks ams!  It's a thought, but I am facing a delicate situation.  In this instance, change is not good :S

In addtion, since the administrative assistant is on Windows 7, it makes things difficult when she tries to help the owner.

Make sense?
Userlevel 7
I'll give it a shot.  Thanks again ams963!
Userlevel 7
You're welcome buddy. Let us know how it goes.:)