Windows 8 - Shipping at the End of October

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 288 replies
We finally have a date!

Mashable reported today that Microsoft is set to begin shipments of Windows 8 by the end of October.

Microsoft has finally set a date — actually a couple of dates — for delivery of Microsoft Windows 8 to customers. The eagerly anticipated operating system overhaul is set to “RTM” (Release to Manufacturing) the first week in August and then ship at the end of October.

Are you looking forward to getting your hands on it? Do you think this will motivate people to stay on Windows PCs?

11 replies

Userlevel 1
@CatB wrote:

Are you looking forward to getting your hands on it? Do you think this will motivate people to stay on Windows PCs?

I am soo looking forward to it. It will be a great opportunity for me as someone who works retail support to teach it to our clients and customers. I am already running the Release Preview for some time now (since it came out) and it has been stable for me (besides when I purposefully crash it). Its a great interface, however the Desktop View is a little too prominant still considering they are trying to move to metro. I really can't wait until I can purchase / get a key through accomidation.

Will it motivate people to stay with Windows PCs? I will not directly answer that question with a yes or now, but rather with my opinion on how customers / clients will have an initial opinion towards Windows 8.
1. They will get extremely confused. They will be frustrated that the interface is completely different. Some things will be easier for them to use right off the bat, but most things will be a learning curve for them.
2. They will consider going Mac based on the fact that their conventional Windows OS has changed the GUI interface, and are kinda wanting to rebell against Microsoft for changing things.
3. They will look at a Mac, see the fact that they either way they will have to learn a new interface, then look at the price tag and realize what they are spending hardware wise. Realize what software they would need to rebuy due to compatibility and realize the new price tag.
4. Most likely end up back at a Windows PC.

TL;DR - No, it won't motivate people to stay with Windows, but it will make it less easy for them to make a smooth transition. There will be some retail companies out there that WILL make the learning experience much easier for them, and at the end of the day, everything will work out just fine.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I like the performance enhancements that they've made with regard to boot times, file transfers and video playback, but I just cannot get to like the Metro aspect. I suspect using it with a touch device will result in a much more pleasant experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I will continue to run the RTM in a VM but will not be replacing any Windows 7 OS's to Win 8 RTM! And definitely not going to a Mac! 

TH
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I probably will switch over once it's shipped. I'm a sucker for new technologies, plus the $40 deal Microsoft have set up is pretty sweet. You never know, I may come to love Metro and sing its praises. At the end of the day, the underlying changes are enough to tempt me over.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
To get used to Windows 8, I've decided to install the Release Preview and will use it going forward. It certainly seems stable enough for everyday use (it is a RC of sorts after all) now, and I look forward to digging under the hood, as it were.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
A few too many bugs still present in Win 8 RP. Back to 7 I go.
Userlevel 1
@ wrote:
A few too many bugs still present in Win 8 RP. Back to 7 I go.

What bugs you talking about. Personally, I haven't had any issues with my system at all.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
My network kept freezing and video playback was sub-par.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The day is here! Did anyone make the plunge today?
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I took the plunge and am quite happy with it.The interface will take some getting used to,but i am easily finding my way around.The system as a whole is quite snappy.I have been very impressed with ie10 thus far.Programs are opening quickly.All my main programs are working.Only issue i have come across the far is the one mmo i play..Aion client crashes.It's not much of a big deal to me as i hardly ever play it anymore since moving on to Guild Wars 2.I had to buy the 2013upgrade of acronis True Image home as the 2012 version was not compatable.Nice not having to worry about updating flash in ie anymore as ie10 has it baked in like chrome.All 3 major browsers work well from what i've seen.Still hoping to see the Webroot toolbar in Chrome someday.Pretty much,if it ran on win7,it will run on win8 and run better.Memory load seems to have dropped a bit as well which is a nice treat,although it won't be noticeable to most.System boot is also noticeably quicker.With it's low price point at the moment and excellent compatability with win 7 software,i would expect a rapid adoption of Win8 by the masses.There will be some pain at first with the ui,but suspect most will grow to like it.And webroot runs like a champ,,as always.Will report further as i dig deeper.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Wow. Nice overview! Can't wait to hear more! And we'll keep working on that Chrome toolbar request. 😉