Solved

Windows 9?

Show first post

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Wasn't Iomega The first CD drive out there for windows98? My memory fails me but I can remember I was abit nervous opening up tower to install the awesome burner..and then a bigger HD and memory...etc...but Jasper posted about series of HDs that were very interesting from the past...

Having fun reminiscing ...Sherry
Userlevel 3
Hi SSherjj!

That sounds about right!  I also remember other CD-ROMS that came out as well such as Oak Technologies OAKCD-ROM and Toshiba and others!  As far as Floppy Drives, Do you remember the LS120 Drives that had capacities larger than 1.4m?
They were drives that hooked onto the IDE controllers!

Userlevel 7
Windows 8 is really poor in a VM due to the fact you need to use the corners for the extra features and it doesnt work so well in a VM as the mouse leaves the screen. Its not a true reflection on the OS, put it on a real PC with a big screen and its much better. 
Userlevel 5
ehh win 9 is just going to really be win 8.3 just like 7 was really 6.3 (6 being vista)

Personally, my experience with 8 has been pretty good, I think it's a solid OS and a real improvement over 7.
Userlevel 7
For me Windows 8.1 works very well and I don't have too many critical remarks. 
Although this is obviously a subjective preference but I prefer Win8.1 much more than Win7.

Mike
Userlevel 7
Old?  I am not old :p  Just because I remember Microsoft releases MS-DOS 3.1 does not make me old
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Old?  I am not old :p  Just because I remember Microsoft releases MS-DOS 3.1 does not make me old
Remembering DOS releases may not make YOU old, but if your current in use computer also remembers DOS upgrades I would have to say IT is old!  LOL

🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I happen to agree there. @  :)
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on Windows 9

***New Windows 9 rumors: Can the Charms, clone the desktop***

By Woody Leonhard | InfoWorld/ Posted on August 08, 2014

Curious about Windows 9? Recent revelations give us the beginnings of an idea of what new features to expect. For starters, there's talk of eliminating the Charms Bar entirely, which poses some interesting interface questions for fingers-first tablet users. There's also talk of support for multiple "virtual desktops" that allow users to create different desktops and juggle among them.
Few people seem to realize that Microsoft built virtual desktops into Windows XP and improved on the implementation in Windows 7. Nobody seems to use the desktops nowadays, but they could become one of the key new features in Windows 9 (or Windows vNext or Windows Threshold).
First, the Charms Bar: Earlier this week, the WinBeta website broke the rumor that the Charms Bar would disappear on the desktop side of Windows 9:

InforWorld/ Full Article Here/ http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/new-windows-9-rumors-can-the-charms-clone-the-desktop-247946

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Antus67,

I personally can't wait for W/9 as I always get excited over Microsofts OS, even W/vista...sadly to say I did like all the eye candy but I do believe that OS was cumbersome or what not.

So I'll be the first one to obtain this OS for sure! I wasn't very excited over W/8 so the newest OS should be off the charts I would think!

Fun article by the way!
Userlevel 7
Boy I loved DOS, still use it to play old PC games. I was a wiz at getting as much conviental memory. Good times
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Roy! I got into Dos alittle late in my life of Computers and have only learned a few commands when necessary but there were games with a floppy disc on W/98...

Yes Good ol days!:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Real smart Microsoft - nobody uses virtual desktops, so you double-down on that feature 🙂
Userlevel 3
Well!  One thingI have heard about W9 is that they are bringing back the classic "Start" Menu!  Will have to read more about what changes they are making to the OS!

nerf8cnt48569@icloud.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Well!  One thingI have heard about W9 is that they are bringing back the classic "Start" Menu!  Will have to read more about what changes they are making to the OS!

nerf8cnt48569@icloud.com

Hello nerf8cnt48569,
I've heard of the same thing. The classic Start Menu would be brillant!:D
Userlevel 3
Yes it would be!  What more have you heard about W9?

Userlevel 7
It won't actually be 'classic' in the pre-Win8 sense of the word but rather a Start Menu structure that will display entries in Tile formats...so MS is not about to ditch the tiles just yet...but at least it will be back partly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Microsoft to deliver Windows 'Threshold' tech preview around late September

Summary: Microsoft is aiming to make available a technology preview of Windows Threshold around late September or early October.

ZDNet.

Microsoft is aiming to deliver a "technology preview" of its Windows "Threshold" operating system by late September or early October, according to multiple sources of mine who asked not to be named.
http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/032668/thresholdtechpreview-184x133.png?hash=AmVkZmD3BG&upscale=1And in a move that signals where Microsoft is heading on the "servicability" front, those who install the tech preview will need to agree to have subsequent monthly updates to it pushed to them automatically, sources added.
Threshold is the next major version of Windows that is expected to be christened "Windows 9" when it is made available in the spring of 2015. Threshold is expected to include a number of new features that are aimed at continuing to improve Windows' usability on non-touch devices and by those using mice and keyboards alongside touch.
Among those features -- according to previous leaks -- are a new "mini" Start Menu; windowed Metro-Style applications that can run on the Desktop; virtual desktops; and the elimination of the Charms bar that debuted as part of Windows 8. Cortana integration with Windows Threshold is looking like it could make it into the OS, as well.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-deliver-windows-threshold-tech-preview-around-late-september-7000032668/

Daniel :D

Userlevel 7
The following article is a update oon Microsoft Threshold to go public
(Windows 'Threshold' to go public within weeks)

By Gregg Keizer 
August 15, 2014 04:03 PM ET Computerworld - Microsoft will issue a preview of "Threshold," the current code name for Windows 8's successor, as soon as next month, according to an online report today.
ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley, citing unnamed sources, said that Microsoft will deliver a "technical preview" of Threshold late in September or early in October. Previously, Foley had reported that Microsoft would offer a preview of some kind this fall.
Threshold may be officially named "Windows 9" by Microsoft -- the company has said nothing about either the code name or labeled the next iteration of its desktop and tablet OS -- although there are arguments for dumping a numerical title because of the possible association with Windows 8, which has widely been pegged as a failure.

ComputerWorld/ full read here/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9250410/Windows_Threshold_to_go_public_within_weeks