Solved

Windows defender

• 11 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Why did Microsoft send me an email on 7/10/20 that said they automatically renewed my Microsoft Windows Defender Advanced Threat Account on 7/9/20  for  $299.99 because they supposedly were not able to reach me ?   I have no knowledge of such an account and they gave me 48 hours to cancel it at a telephone number which only says it does not receive text messages when I try to call to find out if the e-mail  is legit.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 11 July 2020, 03:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @GSBREB AOL.COM 

It sounds like a scam to me!

How to protect against tech support scams

Share and implement the general tips on how to prevent malware infection.

It is also important to keep the following in mind:

• Microsoft does not send unsolicited email messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information, or to fix your computer.

• Any communication with Microsoft has to be initiated by you.

• Don’t call the number in the pop-ups. Microsoft’s error and warning messages never include a phone number.

• Download software only from official vendor websites or the Microsoft Store. Be wary of downloading software from third-party sites, as some of them might have been modified without the author’s knowledge to bundle support scam malware and other threats.

• https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/support-scams