Solved

Windows upgrade slowing performance?

• 11 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
My HP Pavilion 20 has been running more slowly since I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10. Is the upgrade likely the culprit? If so I can have Geek Squad put it back the way it was to Windows 8.
Here are my device specs:
Processor: AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 1.40 GHz
Installed Ram: 4.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit

Thank you!
Linda
icon

Best answer by NicCrockett 12 March 2019, 18:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +28
I'll be honest, that's a pretty low powered PC to run Windows 8.1, let alone Windows 10 on. Minimum RAM for 64-bit Windows 10 is 2 GB and with the newer feature updates you're looking at more like 4 GB. Also, remember that I've only mentioned the RAM needed to run the OS. That doesn't include any additional applications you'll be running at the same time. When you spec out a PC, you have to take all the apps you plan on using and add the RAM requirements together. That doesn't necessarily mean you need 20 GB of RAM if you're going to have a list of applications. However, how many will you normally have open at the same time. Take the ones you plan on having open the most and add them up and then add on some extra because as time goes by applications take up more RAM. For instance, I have a Windows XP box running Firefox, Adobe CS 2, and Office 2003. It gets by with about 2.5 GB of RAM. Newer versions of the apps on a Windows 10 PC take up a lot more RAM so I got a 16 GB PC. Firefox on Windows XP was about 500 MB RAM, Firefox on Windows 10 normally runs about 3-5 GB. One Adobe Creative Cloud app now has a minimum of 4 GB RAM.

As you can see the RAM can add up and I didn't even talk about the low processor. Here's an article that might help you get back to Windows 8.1.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2928286/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-what-you-need-to-know.html

Good Luck!
Badge +1
Wow thanks Nic, that was educational and so helpful!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +28
No problem. Based on what you said, I'd suggest staying on Windows 8.1. I personally have a Windows 8.1 laptop with 6 GB of RAM. I don't remember the processor, but I'm pretty sure it's faster than what you listed. I'm doing ok on Windows 8.1, but I wouldn't upgrade to Windows 10 without at least upgrading the RAM to a minimum of 8 GB and preferably 12-16 GB. Currently I am starting to have some issues running apps due to lack of RAM, but I'm a power user and I tend to have a lot open at once. I also can't load the latest Adobe Creative Cloud app versions, they aren't compatible with Windows 8.1. However, I'm only 1 version behind and for stuff at home it isn't a big deal since I have a Windows 10 PC at work with the latest versions.

When I buy PCs for work I buy 8 GB for users running mainly browsers and Office365 only. If I'm loading Adobe Creative Cloud or any app that requires a lot of RAM, I buy a minimum of 16 GB.

FYI, Windows 8.1 ended mainstream support in January 2018. Don't worry, that just means no new features will be added to the OS. Windows EOL (End of Life) is in January 2023. You'll continue to receive security updates until then as long as you're running Windows Update. However, that's about 4 years from now, so start saving for a new PC/laptop before then.

Link to the Microsoft Support Lifecycle site if you're interested.

Good Luck!