You can expect more ads in the Apple Store

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

In the tech world, it Google that is most readily associated with ads, but it is far from alone. Apple is perhaps not quite as guilty of bombarding people with advertising as some companies, but starting October 25, the App Store will be used to display more ads than ever before.

Although Apple has not exactly shouted about the impending change -- one that is sure to irritate even the most devote fans of Apple -- details of what is happening have been shared in emails sent out to developers. As of Tuesday, the Today tab of the Apple Store will be home to adverts.

See also:

Advertisement

In addition to the Today tab, ads will also be shown in a new "You Might Also Like" section on the listing for individual apps. The change to advertising in the App Store is one that is happening on a global scale, with the exception of China.

A page on the Apple site explains:

With a Today tab ad, your app can appear prominently on the front page of the App Store -- making it some of the first content users see when they begin their App Store visit. The prominence of this placement makes it a good option to drive awareness of your app, especially for new content launches, special events, and seasonal promotions. Note that Today tab ads aren't currently available on the App Store in mainland China.

The change is a significant one. While there has been advertising of a kind in the App Store, the Today tab has historically been used to house editorialized recommendations from the company. The new ads can be differentiated from other content by their blue backgrounds.

Full article:

https://betanews.com/2022/10/23/apple-is-bringing-more-ads-to-the-app-store-this-week/

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

International trend of having all these annoying adds, and then the adds will have a link with some backdoor on it, and the rest is history….. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Certainly seems to be something everyone is doing now. I hate ads

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

I do not think this is new. They have always pushed “sponsored content” forward as far as I knew. So I suspect by ads, they mean more sponsored apps pushed to the top of the search lists, and in their “recommendations” area?  I am actually sorry to hear this, because most of the advertised apps I have tried have been total junk. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have friends who own the whole portfolio, the phone, watch, Mac etc so makes sense they stick with apple. But if you've only for the phone there's still a chance for you  🤣

Yes. And it’s easier to migrate from one to the other now. For years it was pretty much impossible to port your data over 

Very easy to be honest. I guess the device of choice is probably similar to cars. You stick with the brand you really like, until you get fed-up of them. Apply has always been the “niche” product to own, and I think a large majority of people have not used it due to its cost, well at least from here in SA. So if apple push the same junk android does, then why pay almost 3 times the amount you pay for an android just to say I have Apple?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

cannot agree more @russell.harris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I usually only ever go to the search section as know what I want to download. Or tap on my profile picture and swipe down to manually check for updates. So I’m hoping I hardly see any ads!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am already an android user so no complaints from me, just an observation. Switched to Android after the iPhone 7 (which up until that point I was an Apple smartphone user through and through). I couldn’t get my head around the cost and tbh unless your whole echosystem revolves around Apple and you are fully plugged in / integrated, I would argue you can do everything you can on an Apple device with an Android / Windows device (without the same level of security and stability i concede before anyone jumps at me lol). Because I only used an Apple phone and everything else was Windows, I made the switch and haven’t looked back. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +25

International trend of having all these annoying adds, and then the adds will have a link with some backdoor on it, and the rest is history….. 

I’m fairly sure a back door issue with Apple ads will not be an issue IF they review the ads and links like they do submissions to the App Store. Remember, Apple preaches privacy s kind of under the gun to do it right. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am already an android user so no complaints from me, just an observation. Switched to Android after the iPhone 7 (which up until that point I was an Apple smartphone user through and through). I couldn’t get my head around the cost and tbh unless your whole echosystem revolves around Apple and you are fully plugged in / integrated, I would argue you can do everything you can on an Apple device with an Android / Windows device (without the same level of security and stability i concede before anyone jumps at me lol). Because I only used an Apple phone and everything else was Windows, I made the switch and haven’t looked back. 

Fair enough. As I used to work for Apple and everything I used was Apple it made sense to use the same tech at home. 20+ years later and I’m still Apple through and through and so is my household.

You make the right point though about depends how integrated you are

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just foresee with more adds coming, more backdoor issues and compromises will come. In the past, I always believed Apple was one of the most secure systems. Lately, I am not so sure if the decisions they are making are heading in the right direction. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just foresee with more adds coming, more backdoor issues and compromises will come. In the past, I always believed Apple was one of the most secure systems. Lately, I am not so sure if the decisions they are making are heading in the right direction. 

Good point. The problem is that they need to come te in the markets they are in. If Apple doesn’t offer what others are, they may lose custom.

If suppliers of other platforms are getting their ads out there and Apple are not allowing it, makes Apple feel they need to maybe 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have friends who own the whole portfolio, the phone, watch, Mac etc so makes sense they stick with apple. But if you've only for the phone there's still a chance for you  🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. And it’s easier to migrate from one to the other now. For years it was pretty much impossible to port your data over 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

True indeed, but certain apps still don't. Prime example is WhatsApp, we had a client switching from an old iPhone to a new android due to space issues (there was none left on the iPhone) and our client wanted to save money on new hardware, but taking a backup of the chats was rubbish due to space issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. Still issues with WhatsApp but it’s better than it used to be. Getting there!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Don't they make enough money already? 😜

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is a solution to all this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Had to laugh at that. I suspect they’ll say it’s a following trend now to show ads.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Had to laugh at that. I suspect they’ll say it’s a following trend now to show ads.

Solution is readily available.