You may have noticed some new phones were announced/revealed today...I sure did!

• 6 September 2012
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
"iPhone 5"! "New iPhone"! "iPad mini"! "Apple here, Apple there, Apple everywhere"...In these last few months approaching the glorified 9/12 announcement day, these are the words I've been hearing and seeing absolutely everywhere from absolutely everyone.This must be a record-breaking amount of publicity, even for the fruit-named Cupertino company...It's inescapable and frankly, a bit overwhelming. Now don't get me wrong. I like Apple (the company and the fruit) and I think their products are top notch. But there are other companies out there announcing cool new products by the dozen, but which are being heavily overshadowed...So let's show them some love!

Which leads me to today's announcements from Nokia and Motorola (and Microsoft and Google, respectively). I'll start with Nokia, who has struggled immensely as a company recently, going from industry leaders to hanging on for dear life as they watched Apple and Android products gobble up the market share. Nevertheless, the Finnish company stayed alive and focused it's efforts to partner with Microsoft and use it's mobile OS for their phones going forward. The problem (has been) that Windows phones haven't gotten the popularity to make them very competitive. That can change, however, with what Nokia showed today. I must say that these phones are pretty and the specs (on the Lumia 920) are pretty impressive, too. With a gorgeous display, an amazing camera, a revamped Windows Phone 8 interface, and wireless charging, this phone definitely packs the goods to compete (if not surpass) the latest from Apple, Samsung, HTC, etc. But is it enough to make people switch from what they already know and love? That's the real question.

Motorola also revealed some new phones today in the form of a three device RAZR lineup. More evolutionary than revolutionary, the new RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD are basically updated versions of last year's Verizon hits. The good thing is that they kept what was good (the look, the battery) and improved what was lacking (the screen, the processor). They also unveiled a new RAZR M set to launch next week.

So many phones in just one day! I'd love to hear your thoughts and predictions!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I was going to buy the 1st gen Motorola RAZR but I`m glad I didn't as that new RAZR MAXX HD looks awesome! 😃 I always like Motorola for phones and use one now that`s 5 years old on the same Battery!

TH
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I'm just flabbergasted that Nokia announced these great looking phones, then said nothing about pricing or availability.
Userlevel 7
I bet we see them around the same time Windows 8 is released (Octoberish). ;)

They will obviously be using the Windows 8 momentum.
Userlevel 5
Badge +23
I'm thinking the same, but unfortunately we're both left to speculate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You both are probably right as the new Tablet versions:

"Windows 8 for ARM tablets will come out at the same time as Windows 8 for x86 PCs, if everything goes according to plan. As of mid-May we're hearing that Intel Windows 8 tablets will arrive in November."

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/windows-8-tablets-release-date-specs-and-prices-916134#null

TH