Zeus malware re-purposed for tech support

• 28 January 2014
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
An unorthodox alternative to long phone calls with relatives.

A security researcher has detailed a novel approach to tech support that uses a modified version of the infamous Zeus malware.

The Windows malware and its Android derivative were hugely popular in cyber criminal circles and best known for its man-in-the-middle keystroke -logging and form grabbing.

The malware has infected untold scores of computers causing massive amounts of financial losses.

But its many features have now been re-appropriated for good. David Schwartzberg (@Schwartzberg ) began building a modified version of the malware for tech support after undergoing an arduous computer repair task with family.

"Just because you have a knack for technology, people you know seem to think that you enjoy fixing all their problems, most self-inflicted," said Schwartzberg, a Barracuda Networks senior security engineer.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
What could possibly go wrong?
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Plenty I would have thought, it could be like opening a can of worms.
Userlevel 3
@ wrote:
Plenty I would have thought, it could be like opening a can of worms.

haha, get it, a can of "worms" haha,

And hey does anyone remember that one worm that actually just got rid if some backdoors and flaws in XP? I remember that, but now pretty much everything you see is randsomware, speaking of which has anyone ran into the new variant of the FBI virus? It actually embeds itself into safemode and creates and IEFO of explorer.exe, it is a pain, it makes it impossible for anyone who isn't familiar with windows pe or other offline editors kind of left for dead