2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

2022 BrightCloud® Threat Report: The year of innovation for cybercrime

Show first post

114 replies

Userlevel 1

Great rreport. Eye opener. Have passed along to our Account managers

Userlevel 5

Not saying I’m cynical or anything, but nothing in this report really surprised me. Except Japan. Be nice to know what they are doing differently.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  • The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections.

not too surprised by this statement

Nor me!

• The Middle East, Asia, and Africa were the regions with the highest percentage of infections.

not too surprised by this statement

Userlevel 3

53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times

The 19% of people falling for it 5 or more time are the people who need to be signed up to Webroot training ASAP😶 It beggars belief how they don’t realise after 2, 3, 4 times….

Apple was most often impersonated company in phishing attacks.

This does not surprise me at all, people (nee. Apple users) seem to have a built-in trust, probably because of Apple positioning themselves as the good guy vs Facebook in the privacy war. So attacks using Apple are surely more likely to be successful as the users see the company name and don’t think twice before clicking (unfortunately) 

Userlevel 3

I think it is just amazing how some machines were infected more than 5 times. 5!!

People should get more in the way of cyber training. We’re taught as kids never to talk to strangers, but download all sorts of junk on our PCs containing sensitive data when we grow up...

Userlevel 3

Can't get over pcs being infected more than 5 times! Do people not learn?!

"53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once, and 19% infected more than 5 times"

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Educate your users. Not to be overlooked!

Well said and yet still so many companies are quick to blame their IT team

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It was Interesting to read that the smaller companies are starting to be hit more.

The bigger ones have gotten wise to a lot of it and invested in their security / training. A lot of smaller companies (in my experience at least) seem to prefer to bury their heads in the sand and think it will never happen to them

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good read, well written. Taking some pointers to go back to my boss for our next security review meeting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I bet those that were infected 5 times were absolutely sure that they didn’t need to worry about security too!

Userlevel 2

It was Interesting to read that the smaller companies are starting to be hit more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The UK only had 2.1% of dodgy URL’s with and out front leader being the US on 64.8%

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

I was surprised by this statement "The number of malware files reaching Webroot-protected Windows endpoints dropped 58% from 2020 to 2021. That’s an incredible shift."

I agree, that's an incredible shift, but just goes to show that the endpoint is not the goal it is merely a vector to reach a target and that threats are changing. 

Userlevel 5

I’m really surprised at all the details in this. I definitely would expect larger companies to be targeted more often. In hindsight it makes sense because the smaller ones likely don’t have the resources or training to deal with threats. I also can’t believe how high the average payout is, over 300k is so much!

Userlevel 3

With Digital currency threats are almost certain when using currency

82% for small businesses with less than 1000 employee’s is very high but it makes sense when it comes to a small number of users

Userlevel 4

with this i think we can see where awareness and training are taken (a little more) seriously

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That webinar yesterday was really good! Thank you for doing that.

Alarmed to see how many Windows 7 computers are still out there and also how high the percentage of infections for small businesses is.

Userlevel 3
  • During 2021, 82% of ransomware attacks targeted organizations with less than 1,000 employees. The smallest organizations, with 100 employees or less, comprised 44% of ransomware victims.

WOW!

82%!!! Huge number!

Userlevel 4

It’s good to see that the overall infection rates are on the decline. But its still surprising to see how much Windows 7 and related exposure is still out there. Having the numbers to see the rising cost of ransomware and the effectiveness of phishing shows that we have a long way to go. Thanks for providing the stats with this comprehensive report and explaining things in the webinar too! 

Userlevel 3

“This year, 86.3% of malware was unique to one PC”

I couldn’t believe this, this is shocking, the world needs to realize and protect its self.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The one fact that stood out to me the most was “Bad actors like to time their phishing attacks. In the month of May alone, we witnessed a 770% increase in phishing activity.”  I have to wonder why May? 

I firmly believe all users should have regular Security Awareness Training. It is well worth the investment.

Userlevel 4

“With the introduction of Windows 11, bad actors won’t think twice about engaging in new and dangerous exploits that leverage new features not previously available.”

Just when you thought it was safe to release a new OS.  I'm personally not planning on migrating to it anytime soon, as well as our clients.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Many small businesses tend to make “easy” targets through a perfect storm of denial that they are likely targets, psuedo-MSP’s who don’t provide truly comprehensive security, training issues, and a butt-load of cash.  With older “family” staff that is ripe for phishing makes it difficult to protect some of these clients.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“53% of consumer PCs were infected more than once”

What fresh hell is this?! I find it alarming from reading this the sheer volume of people that this happens to. You would think by now that people would be more vigilant, this is genuinely frightening.