Antivirus that just won't... do... anything... even uninstall!

• 12 November 2013
  • 8 replies

I've been running Webroot SecureAnywhere on 3 PCs for work since the beginning of 2013 and it has worked very well so far. Now suddenly our PC that runs the laser engraving machines came up with errors and must shut down (the standard Windows XP block that comes up when something goes wrong with a program).
BUT it doesn't end there! The same block keeps coming up, after 10 seconds or a minute or some other random time.
If I kill WRSA.exe in the processes list, it resurfaces again. No sign of the Webroot program icon by the clock on the task bar at any point.
Then when I try to uninstall Webroot either through its own uninstaller or through control panel, I'm told I can't do that because I'm not an administrator! Of course I am, I've even double checked!
The upgrade/uninstall program from Webroot did nothing to help, it just ran and made empty promises, but the error scren still kept popping up.
I installed AVG to check for any viruses - NOTHING. Malwarebytes also found nothing.
In the end I used a trial version of Revo Uninstaller Pro to remove Webroot which worked.

So I download Webroot from my logged in account on the site, start the installation, and boom we're back with the error messages again.

Oh, and I did try disabling Webroot from the website interface along the way, which did nothing to help remove the software at all.

I am so disappointed that I've had to spend so many hours trying to fix this problem.
What has gone wrong? Microsoft must have received more than its quota of error messages since yesterday when this started.
I even tried a system restore back to last week - no go.

Oh, the other two PCs are still running perfectly right now, but I'm not very optimistic...

Anyone have any ideas?

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi HisLordship.

Potentionally, they're maybe some unknown files that are being monitored and affecting your machine - please PM me your license and the hostname of the PC in question and I will gladly look into this for you.

Thanks!
EamonF
Userlevel 3
This error can be caused by lots of issues, if you have the resources backup and scan your hdd, sounds like maybe some reallocation errors...., basically your hard drive had an error to where it ran the exe over the program because it thought that sector was blank, I see it alot, and you may want to try and upgrade to windows 7 since in April XP support by Microsoft is coming to an end for most users which means more of a chance of getting infected. And that would be only one of many things it could be causing the issue.

Also try running a test on your ram to see if it has gone bad, because that can cause issues.and by far the most two overlooked, if you have a modem card and don't need it take it out and try again, if that doesn't work remove your ram and reinstall it and try opening the program, if it still does it after that than it is software not hardware. If you do scan your hard drive for errors use a scanner that gives you a graph not one that just replies with a good or bad, because often those will mark a bad with good because it will only check your smart report and if your running XP you most likely have an IDE drive not sata so a smart report won't even pull up. Hope you get it up and running,

Sincerely,
. Justin
Hello Justin

Thank you for the replies.
I'm afraid there is no chance of "upgrading" to Windows 7 as there is software we run which won't run on anything beyond XP.
I have already run diagnostic checks on the drives in that machine as well as RAM.
All come back fine. Every other peice of software on that machine is running as normal too, so I doubt a hardware error is to blame.
I have run a registry cleaner and defrag too.

I can install other antivirus (e.g. AVG or Avira) and it works perfectly too (those are the trial versions).
BUT as soon as I try to re-install Webroot it won't even complete the installation and it comes up with those errors.

I have this subscription for more than a year left now and it's useless on that machine, so money down the drain.
Can't say I will be renewing my subscription at this point, especially when the Webroot uninstall utility couldn't remove the companies own software!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @ 
The uninstall utility is only for software versions 2011 and prior.

If the built-in uninstallation routine does not work it's a fairly simple job of cleaning out some settings and removing it manually. Webroot support will be able to provide you the official instructions if you ask them for the manual steps. I don't know if the way I do it is kosher.
Uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller Pro.
Nothing else worked - I kept being told I needed to be an administrator, which I am.

Userlevel 3
Well you technically could use windows 7 for that still, you would just need someone to build you a virtual machine with XP on it either that or you should look to find out how well it works with Linux using wine, but if it really is just webroot stopping it from working then there really isn't a need, but be sure to unplug from the internet once April hits, because one crazy hacker storm is coming xp's way as about 40 forums online full of hackers bragging about the viruses and nasty things to steal identity are talking about for it. So if it is for business try that and you should be okay, but that means you'd need a second computer for getting online. Either way just please for the sake of your company do so, because any information you've entered into that that hasn't got completely erased with a three swipe FBI wipe is easily found by them and they will use it.
Thank you but we are being side tracked here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You need to rely on the directions from Webroot support in order to remove and clean the system of product traces.

WSA is fairly robust, especially compared to other products, but I have found situations where nothing but a complete cleanout of the system will resolve an issue.

Business support is great and they pick up instantly - it's a good idea to call them.