Anyone use Spiceworks and know about SpiceRex, their community mascot?

• 25 February 2014
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
If you're not familiar with him, he is the mascot invented by the Spiceworks community.  He travels around visiting IT pros and seeing the sights.  He stopped by the Webroot office, so I gave him a tour and posted a bunch of photos.  You can see them in the SpiceRex group on the Spiceworks community here.

15 replies

Long time user of Spiceworks, into our second year of WEP. I'd say welcome to Webroot, but I'm not active here. That may change with you around though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the welcome, and glad to hear you might be more active on here.

Since you use both Spiceworks and WEP, what do you think of the integration tab in the inventory?  We're going to be adding improvements in the next version, so we're looking for feedback on it.
Userlevel 5
I use both, and the integration tab is pretty cool, also so seeing spiceworks pick Webroot was a cool validation of my choice of AV product, especially since there's a ton of Vypre fanbois on the community there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Glad to hear it.  We're excited to have this be a built-in integration right in the product, and to be one of the first to go that route. Hopefully we'll convert some of the Vipre fans once they get a chance to try Webroot 🙂
Userlevel 5
Personally I don't see the big deal with Vypre, as far as old style AVs go it seems like a solid product (it was the main competitor for webroot when I was evaling products) and comes with some nice value added stuff, but the webroot "new" style blows it and all the other old pattern AVs out of the water.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah, that's the stance that Webroot took a couple years back.  Old signature based AVs weren't going to last for much longer, so the cloud approach is the only way to get a handle on the problem.  Fortunately the leadership made a good decision with the new direction, and that gave us a chance to get a huge amount of data about malware and malicious URLs/IPs in our system.
Userlevel 5
Exactly, unless webroot screws up massively, or there's another product with a similar methedology webroot has out buisness, I can't see going back to an old style signature based AV.

Recently we shut down our chinese manufacturing plant and the plant manager brought his (purchased in china...) laptop back with him which had a fully patched symantec AV and wanted to keep using it, I said no (probably a pirated OS, purchased in china etc) but was overruled, it could connect to the network (but I atleast won keeping it off the domain) installed webroot and caught iirc about a dozen pieces of malware (legitimate bad stuff not just marginal PUP stufff) that syymantec missed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So far I haven't seen any evidence of massive screw ups here at Webroot, so I think the future looks bright for us :)

That's pretty scary on the laptop.  Glad to hear you were able to get it scanned and fixed before it could pass anything along to the rest of your network.
Userlevel 5
yea was pissed they let him keep it i had my ban hammer (10# sledge I use for decomissioning HDDs) ready...
@ wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, and glad to hear you might be more active on here.

Since you use both Spiceworks and WEP, what do you think of the integration tab in the inventory?  We're going to be adding improvements in the next version, so we're looking for feedback on it.
I'll have to get back with you on that. My SW installation is really suffering, and being a one man shop, it's a low priority. I'm running the 7.2 beta on new hardware and Windows 2008 R2 Standard, copied my production data over and there is a lot of troubleshooting to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry to hear you're having problems with your install.  The beta support is pretty good about getting stuff fixed, but understood that you don't always have time to deal with it.
Userlevel 5
So how long until webroot ends up with a green dinosaur :p

maybe along the lines of the tactical velociraptor...

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
heh, people have been asking me whether we'll pick a Webroot mascot.  We also have the option to use the green dude from the gaming product: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/gamer-av
Userlevel 5
yea...  don't need  a green spandex wearing dude as a mascot at conventions... a spandex wearing hot chick on the other hand...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There is some debate as to the gender of the green glowing orb person.