Best Webroot practices for antivirus migration to Webroot?

• 2 December 2016
  • 1 reply

Hello, we have a customer scenario where we have a dozen of PCs that is currently running the free version of AVG antivirus.
I would however be interested in experiences of best practices to minimize both security and functionality impacts.

The most obvious approach would be to simply first install the Webroot client on the PC, and then uninstall the previous antivirus client as I have been told that Webroot can coexist with existing antivirus products.

However, I have at least one occasion experienced that  a PC lost much network connectivity and acted quite strangely when webroot installed on an existing installation of F-secure (It was extra bad as it as a remote install, and the combination did lock out my remote access progran)

Therefore I do not feel comfortable installing Webroot on an existing product, but the other alternative is to instead uninstall the previous antivirus but would at least temporarily leave it unprotected.

Are there any best practices or experiences regarding such migration scenarios?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Hi @

For the most part installing the Webroot agent alongside AVG and then uninstalling the AVG should work fine. I wouldn't worry.

I mean if you are walking to each workstation to uninstall AVG, start that process and by the time you circle back to the first, begin installing the Webroot Agent. The agent install takes less than 30 seconds to show up on the taskbar and begin it's initial scan etc...

I wouldn't be so paranoid if you are simply swapping out AV products.

The ones I get concerned about working together are Vipre, F-Secure, sometimes Sophos and Trend products.

Other than that, I've never had issues doing a simple swap.

John