Solved

Chrome hang with identity shield

• 22 January 2021
  • 11 replies

Hi

Working for an MSP and I am noticing an emerging issue with the identity shield causing Chrome to hang or launch with a blank screen.  The circumstances are:

• Windows 10 2004
  • January 2021 Windows 10 CU installed
  • Webroot installed and up to date
  • Nvidia graphics card (no specific  model)
  • Chrome installed and up to date

If all of these are fulfilled except for the January CU, the problem does not occur.  It also does not seem to occur on machines without Nvidia graphics.  I have seen 10 instances of this since yesterday, and was able to replicate the issue on brand new machines.

The workaround is to set the application protection for the chrome.exe to allow rather than protect.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 21 October 2021, 21:43

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 3

@msmith-442

I would download the newest agent version

Consumer Download for

Thanks.  I am a sysadmin managing ~100 workstations for users scattered throughout North & Central America, and Asia.  We are using our RMM software to push the update.  Sometimes it's just a matter of users turning their machines on or coming within network range.  Long gone are the days when everyone worked in an office and I could just RDP into their machines after hours, or walk around to their desks to make sure everyone got the update, LOL.

This is what makes that problem so annoying though - when a user on the other side of the country tells me their Chrome isn't working, I've got to work with them to schedule a remote support session for troubleshooting.  If it were consistent that'd be one thing.  But it just randomly affected a few users here and there. The first time it happened everyone was clueless.  Wound up shipping the user a new laptop just because we couldn't figure it out.  😡

In any case, I've been running with Identity Shield turned off for the better part of the past year.  We're currently at 76% of workstations running the 9.0.31.84 update.  I'll be turning Identity Shield back on in the next day or so (after a few more machines receive the update).  After that it's just a matter of "wait & see" if the bug reoccurs.  I have no way of knowing, just wait to see if a user messages me that "their Chrome won't open".  Remote support brings about its own unique challenges, adding this long-standing Webroot/Chrome bug was just another annoyance that we shouldn't have to deal with.  🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Sounds good let us know how it goes in time! Personally I have never seen this issue on my 3 systems but many others have.

Cheers,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@msmith-442  Firefox Developer Edition is not well known so it’s best to chat with Webroot Support to see if they can whitelist any new Developer Edition builds. I personally use the release builds of Firefox without issues.

Today!

Webroot Support:

All business protection products

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Open a support ticket

Tel: 1-866-254-8400

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Saw Webroot released build 9.0.31.84 on Sept. 28th.  I didn't see any notification about the update, just happened to notice it when I saw four of my systems had updated to it.

Googled the release notes and it appears they've included more bugfixes for the issue with Chrome not loading when Identity Shield is enabled.  Let's hope they got it right this time!

Please let us know! More info here on the update!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @msmith-442 

Is the Chrome issue solved for you with this new version?

Thanks,

Userlevel 3

Hello @msmith-442 

Is the Chrome issue solved for you with this new version?

Too soon to tell.  I’m still trying to get the update to push out to the majority of workstations on my domain, after which I’ll re-enable Identity Shield, and wait.  Given the nature of the issue (sporadic and random which user it affects) I’m sure someone will tell me eventually if their Chrome doesn’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +33

@msmith-442 

I would download the newest agent version (can download from https://downlaod.webroot.com.com/9.0.31.79/wsasme.exe), perform an uninstall of the agent, then after removal of the agent, go to ProgramData and search for and delete any WRCore or WRData folders, then perform a clean install with the new agent installer. 

The new versions have the fix for the Chrome issue. 

What I find funny, is that this only affects the Chrome browser and not other Chromium browsers. 

Those that are getting more security focused are starting to shy away from Chrome due to some of their info tracking and browser adjustments etc…. Brave and Vivaldi are great alternatives if you value privacy. 

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Consumer Download for v9.0.31.84 and just install over top and reboot:

Standard PC Download Link:

https://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe

Business v9.0.31.84 : https://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsasme.exe

Userlevel 3

Sooo…  Earlier this week I got reports from two of my users that Webroot Identity Shield is now blocking Firefox Developer Edition (we’re a software development company, several of our folks use this version for it’s more dev-friendly tools).  This again.  Ran a scan with our RMM software to isolate everyone using the Dev version.  Put them all in a custom Webroot policy that disables Identity Shield.  My users were surprised how fast I was able to “fix” it for them.  If only they knew the entire back-story on this problem.

And now, we wait.  Hopefully it will get fixed for Firefox Developer Edition… at some point?  🤷‍♂️😭

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I have seen a similar issue, I will have to check about the graphics card, but I have had to turn off the ID protection to allow downloads to happen in Chome. Otherwise users get an error that Virus Scan Failed.

Userlevel 3

Saw Webroot released build 9.0.31.84 on Sept. 28th.  I didn't see any notification about the update, just happened to notice it when I saw four of my systems had updated to it.

Googled the release notes and it appears they've included more bugfixes for the issue with Chrome not loading when Identity Shield is enabled.  Let's hope they got it right this time!