Chrome keeps crashing

• 29 September 2020
  • 55 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

55 replies

We have also continued to experience this issue, even with the most updated version of Webroot. One of the things I have noticed is that Chrome DOES start, but it only loads into the Background Processes of the Task Manager and never fully activates into the active apps section. I’ve had to disable sometimes dozens of running processes before fixing it because people keep trying to open the browser over an over again before asking for assistance.

Here is the method I have found that works so the user can continue to click links in emails and local files and will activate the browser. It may seem like a lot of steps, but I have gotten the process down to about a minute.

1. Open the Windows Registry Editor by hitting Win+R and typing regedit.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ChromeHTML\shell\open\command
  3. Edit the string value in this folder by double-clicking on it and changing the name of the executable file (chrome.exe) to match the modified executable you will be making in step 5.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome1.exe" --single-argument %1

1. Close the Registry Editor.
  2. Open Windows Explorer to Chrome’s executable (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application)
  3. Create a copy of the chrome.exe file and rename it (I’ve been using chrome1.exe, but anything is viable)

The main issue with this workaround is that the registry entry resets to default when Chrome has an update. Could be once every couple of weeks, could be twice in only a few days. You will have to do the entire process again in that case. Fortunately for me I only have 20 or so machines in a single building to maintain, so anyone with a few hundred or multiple buildings may not want to deal with it the way I have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Beta testers are testing a version that will work with Chrome until they sort this issue out but I don’t know when it will be released to the Public. Maybe @dstokes1 or @coscooper can give more info?

Beta v9.0.31.79

Changes in this build include:

1. Full firewall functionality is restored for outbound communications.
  2. Updated UI to include OpenText branding with dynamic Year.Quarter designation.
  3. USB Blocking so that read, write and execute access is blocked for most USB storage devices. This is OFF by default but can be toggled ON by going to Advanced Settings > Shields.  Policy control is coming to the Webroot Management Console in a upcoming release.
  4. Stop injection into to Chrome to prevent Chrome issues while we investigate reports.
  5. Install on Vista and Server 2008 systems is moved to a terminal grabword.  Customers can install this grabword which will continue to provide protection but no longer update.
  6. Agent will open to the keycode tab on the account screen if installation is attempted and the agent is already installed. An new keycode can be entered here.
  7. The agent will check for and apply new proxy settings when the user changes.
  8. The WRSkyClient and WRCoreService processes will exit when the WSA agent is shutdown (requires the upcoming Genesis 1.4 components).
  9. Hardenavailability of the Scan with Webroot context menu entry.

Try this work around it worked on the two machines I have come across with this issue.

Create a shortcut to google.com

1.  type google.com in the address bar
  2. Setting / More Tools / Create Shortcut
  3. Places a shortcut on the desktop (icon looks different) that reliably opens google chrome.

Worked in both cases I came across this.

Hope it works for you!

Try this work around it worked on the two machines I have come across with this issue.

Create a shortcut to google.com

1.  type google.com in the address bar
  2. Setting / More Tools / Create Shortcut
  3. Places a shortcut on the desktop (icon looks different) that reliably opens google chrome.

Worked in both cases I came across this.

Hope it works for you!

I freaking love you. It’s midnight and now I can go to bed. No idea why this worked, but continued to work when I pinned that newly created shortcut.

I literally right clicked on my desktop, new, shortcut, browsed to chrome… and we’re back. Deleted the other shortcuts, and pinned the new one…. Thanks again!

Userlevel 3

Saw Webroot released build 9.0.31.84 on Sept. 28th.  I didn't see any notification about the update, just happened to notice it when I saw four of my systems had updated to it.  Googled the release notes and it appears they've included more bugfixes for the issue with Chrome not loading when Identity Shield is enabled.  Let's hope they got it right this time!