Chrome keeps crashing

• 29 September 2020
  • 55 replies

Everytime I try to open up chrome, I get the spinning icon and nothing opens.  If I disable Webroot, I can open it up no problem.

I am using windows 10 home edition.

This topic has been closed for comments

55 replies

Chrome - spinning icon and nothing happens on Windows 10 Pro also.  I disabled Webroot and Defender and had success.  Reinstall Webroot and still able to launch Chrome but launch is slower than without Webroot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Kalannar and @msmith 

If your issues continue please Submit a Support Ticket as they will want to look into it.

Please have some patience as support is busy.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

Thanks,

I can’t submit a support ticket.  It asks for my password, which I provide but then does nothing.  It says it needs cookies for the site to work, when I hit ok, still nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Kalannar 

You can call Support during the week at 1-866-612-4227

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Thanks,

I had  the same issue where Chrome does not start until I disabled Webroot. I just finished a call with Webroot tech support and they informed me of this known issue which recently surfaced.
The instructions which resolved the issue:
Open Webroot.
Open Identity Protection by clicking on the Gears icon next to it.
Click on the Application Protection tab.
There should be an application list that includes a line with chrome.exe, if not click on Add Application.
Change the chrome.exe line from Protect to Allow and the issue is resolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @alexv 

Note that is only a work around and when you use Chrome you don’t have the full protection of the Identity Shield under Allow but only when it is under Protected.

I have not seen this issue with Chrome and Webroot’s ID Shield. I would suggest you do a clean reinstall of WSA and make sure Chrome is under Protect!

I Protect all of these apps without issues!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Look to see if this folder is gone: C:\ProgramData\WRData and if it’s there delete it. (Hidden Area)
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

@TripleHelix - Mate i’ve seen this on 15 pc’s now including my own and i run a MSP. This isnt a once off.

Webroot should be treating this as a high priority and a fix needs to be rolled out yesterday.

@alexv - thank you for the work around!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@dww  sorry I didn’t know there were issues with the MSP’s as this thread is for Consumers so I would suggest you contact MSP and or Business support. I will ping @coscooper to see if he can add anything?

All business protection products

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Open a support ticket

Tel: 1-866-254-8400

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/about/contact-us

Thanks,

We (IT MSP) have confirmed this is an issue across a wide swath of our customers (disparate networks, non-similar systems, etc).  Seen it thus far on about 15 unrelated desktop/laptop nodes.  Symptom is user can launch Chrome once properly, but any subsequent closes and launches just spin with Chrome hung and no window appearing.  Removal of the Webroot extension completely resolves the issue on every system thus far.  This issue just started happening for our clients over the past maybe 3-4 weeks.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

We are also an MSP and  seeing this issue popup for more and more users.  It doesn’t seem to be every machine and we are working around it by disabling features.  I know this is a community thread, and I believe we have opened tickets with webroot and get told to reinstall on every machine… which is not an acceptable solution.  Looking for an actual fix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I will ping @coscooper again to see if he can add anything.

Thanks,

Have had this same issue for months (at least since September).  Flagging chrome in Application Protection to allow lets it open but has to be redone almost every day for a new line and protection is filled with chrome_exe’s and old_chrome.exe’s that have been moved to temp directories as the latest one gets added.

Reinstalled Webroot at one point a couple months back without importing old settings and it fixed the issue for about a month and then it went right back to the same behavior.   Incredibly frustrating this has been a problem for so long.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Another victim - https://luminaries.webroot.com/forum/t/chrome-issue/345

We seem to be having luck working around the issue by disabling web shield.

But this is a band-aid still.  I would classify webroot causing browser issues with what is arguably the most popular browser in the world a pretty big issue… and its apparently been going on for months and people opening tickets with webroot support are being given stupid fixes don’t address the root issue.   Get it fixed.  This is how you lose customers.

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue on both my Windows 10 64-bit computers and several other in our company. Not always but often.
Disabling web shields makes it go away. It also workable to open chrome in incognito and then open a new normal window from the incognito session.

This issue has been around for at least 3 months and needs to be fixed NOW. I for one will not be renewing our companies subscriptions if this is how you handle serious buggs like this one.

We ( IT MSP) are also having the same issue with a number of our clients.  Random PCs 10 +. Chrome will open once. Once closed will just open processes but will not appear on the screen. Incredibly frustrating. Where is the long term fix as it appears this was highlights months ago?

I am also a IT MSP, and have around 300 managed endpoints.

I have started to see this issue on multiple devices. Started back in september.

I have tried a lot of things and only sollution is to do a complete reinstall, if you want to run with all shields ON.

Only workaround i have found is, as mentioned, to start in incognito mode from a shortcut with this parameter, and then open a “normal window” from there.

You need to FIX THIS NOW!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@coscooper  or @dstokes1 any info to supply here?

Thanks,

Hello everyone...we very much understand the frustration to this issue and has been experienced by us at Webroot, as well because of the changes to Chrome development. The next agent release will have a fix for this issue though.

For now and until this next agent release, disabling Identity Shield in the Policy or Policies for the affected Site (business) and Endpoints themselves (Consumer) should resolve the issue. The best course would be to copy the existing Workstation Policy if Best Practice is being followed for Business Consoles, disable Identity Shield in this new Policy and apply to the affected Sites. When the new agent version is released, either re-enable Identity Shield for this new Policy or assign the original Workstation Default Policy. As mentioned by another Community member, creating Overrides for the Chrome EXE can be frustrating as the MD5 hashes change often. We know you want the fix now, but hope the above information is helpful in the meantime.

@dstokes1 

It looks like the latest Endpoint Protection Agent release was in October of 2020.  Since this issue has existed for at least 4 months, is is reasonable to conclude Webroot is not able to come up with a fix and roll it out in a new agent?  We have lost some reputation asset in 2020-Q4 as well as the first part of 2021-Q1.  Please provide an update so we know how to proceed.  Although we would prefer to remain with WR, it will be time to move on if this issue is unresolvable.  

Thanks,

Dean

Userlevel 1

@dstokes1 

So your only “support” is to disable an important part of your software in order for it to work with the most popular browser on the market.

I expect that we will receive some compensation or the option for a refund as this is just ridiculous.

Webroot support, are you serious?  This is going on for 6 months now.   Why is this thread marked Solved?  Just wrong all the way around.   Guess we have to move our 700 endpoints somewhere else now, sorry. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

We Beta testers are testing a new version that has a fix for the Chrome issue but we are not told when it will be release to all at this time.

Thanks,

This is what support told me. To save time for anyone who is looking here, here it is:

1.Open Webroot on your computer
2. On the right side of the application you will see Identity Protection
3. Just beside my account you will see gear icon
4. Click on the icon
5. It will bring you to a new window
6. On the new window click on Application Protection
7. From the list find Google Chrome and change it to Allow

Webroot support, are you serious?  This is going on for 6 months now.   Why is this thread marked Solved?  Just wrong all the way around.   Guess we have to move our 700 endpoints somewhere else now, sorry. 

Here’s a solution that I don’t know why it’s not here yet, but this worked for me and support told me to do it. So it is solved but this forrum isn’t updated
1.Open Webroot on your computer
2. On the right side of the application you will see Identity Protection
3. Just beside my account you will see gear icon
4. Click on the icon
5. It will bring you to a new window
6. On the new window click on Application Protection
7. From the list find Google Chrome and change it to Allow

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Well @Spicy Lil Taco 

A new version came out to solve this issue without the need for this modification!

https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=2234

Agent changes in PC build 9.0.30.71 (Released March 22nd, 2021)
Updated
  • UI text updated to Allow and Allow List.
  • Added entry for Control Active Processes to system tray menu.
Fixed
  • Fix for BSOD with VSS Admin.
  • Fix for issue where Chrome does not load with Identity Shield enabled.
  • Bug Fixes.