Chrome keeps crashing

• 29 September 2020
  • 55 replies

Everytime I try to open up chrome, I get the spinning icon and nothing opens.  If I disable Webroot, I can open it up no problem.

I am using windows 10 home edition.

This topic has been closed for comments

55 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

We Beta testers are testing a new version that has a fix for the Chrome issue but we are not told when it will be release to all at this time.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

The 9.0.30.72 update worked briefly, but the problem has reappeared. I have upgraded to 9.0.30.75, annoyingly, I had to download the update manually, I thought it was supposed to keep itself up to date, and even more annoyingly, I can’t open Chrome, nor hyperlinks in emails without turning Webroot off. It is not acceptable that Webroot has been preventing such a commonly used app from working and that this has been going  on for so long.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Kalannar and @msmith 

If your issues continue please Submit a Support Ticket as they will want to look into it.

Please have some patience as support is busy.

Note: When submitting a Support Ticket, Please wait for a response from Support. Putting in another Support Ticket on this problem before Support responses will put your first Support Ticket at the end of the queue. A reply from Support should take from 24 to 48 hours but could take a little longer because of COVID 19 and the Webroot Employees are busy working from home.

Thanks,

I can’t submit a support ticket.  It asks for my password, which I provide but then does nothing.  It says it needs cookies for the site to work, when I hit ok, still nothing.

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue on both my Windows 10 64-bit computers and several other in our company. Not always but often.
Disabling web shields makes it go away. It also workable to open chrome in incognito and then open a new normal window from the incognito session.

This issue has been around for at least 3 months and needs to be fixed NOW. I for one will not be renewing our companies subscriptions if this is how you handle serious buggs like this one.

Webroot support, are you serious?  This is going on for 6 months now.   Why is this thread marked Solved?  Just wrong all the way around.   Guess we have to move our 700 endpoints somewhere else now, sorry. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Punter 

Yes I see that v9.0.30.75 is being pushed out but there aren’t any release notes so it would be best to keep in touch with support on this continuing issue. @dstokes1  @coscooper  @GeorgeA  @khumphrey  @freydrew 

Sorry,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@jmclinton  I fully agree and I don’t know why no Webroot Staffers haven't said anything in over 2 months? @freydrew  @khumphrey  @dstokes1  @coscooper  @GeorgeA 

All I can suggest is to vent your frustrations on Webroot Support.

All business protection products

Mon - Fri 7 AM to 5:30 PM (MDT)

Open a support ticket

Tel: 1-866-254-8400

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/about/contact-us

Sorry,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello we Beta testers are testing a new version but I don’t know when it will be released to the Public.

Stop injection into to Chrome to prevent Chrome issues while we investigate reports.

That’s all I can say for now.

Support just says what we already know. Reinstall Webroot deleting the WRSA folder if it doesn’t get deleted during uninstall. This works, until Google updates Chrome again which happens sometimes daily due to security fixes.

Funny that this only happens on one business machine and one (mine) home machine out of about 20 installs.

Also, the fix from Archvicedduke works, but isn’t ideal as they stated.

Edit: Thanks for the tip TripleHelix.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Kalannar 

You can call Support during the week at 1-866-612-4227

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @alexv 

Note that is only a work around and when you use Chrome you don’t have the full protection of the Identity Shield under Allow but only when it is under Protected.

I have not seen this issue with Chrome and Webroot’s ID Shield. I would suggest you do a clean reinstall of WSA and make sure Chrome is under Protect!

I Protect all of these apps without issues!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Look to see if this folder is gone: C:\ProgramData\WRData and if it’s there delete it. (Hidden Area)
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

@dww  sorry I didn’t know there were issues with the MSP’s as this thread is for Consumers so I would suggest you contact MSP and or Business support. I will ping @coscooper to see if he can add anything?

Open a support ticket

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

I will ping @coscooper again to see if he can add anything.

Thanks,

I am also a IT MSP, and have around 300 managed endpoints.

I have started to see this issue on multiple devices. Started back in september.

I have tried a lot of things and only sollution is to do a complete reinstall, if you want to run with all shields ON.

Only workaround i have found is, as mentioned, to start in incognito mode from a shortcut with this parameter, and then open a “normal window” from there.

You need to FIX THIS NOW!!!!

@dstokes1 

It looks like the latest Endpoint Protection Agent release was in October of 2020.  Since this issue has existed for at least 4 months, is is reasonable to conclude Webroot is not able to come up with a fix and roll it out in a new agent?  We have lost some reputation asset in 2020-Q4 as well as the first part of 2021-Q1.  Please provide an update so we know how to proceed.  Although we would prefer to remain with WR, it will be time to move on if this issue is unresolvable.  

Thanks,

Dean

Userlevel 1

@dstokes1 

So your only “support” is to disable an important part of your software in order for it to work with the most popular browser on the market.

I expect that we will receive some compensation or the option for a refund as this is just ridiculous.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Well @Spicy Lil Taco 

A new version came out to solve this issue without the need for this modification!

https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=2234

Agent changes in PC build 9.0.30.71 (Released March 22nd, 2021)
Updated
  • UI text updated to Allow and Allow List.
  • Added entry for Control Active Processes to system tray menu.
Fixed
  • Fix for BSOD with VSS Admin.
  • Fix for issue where Chrome does not load with Identity Shield enabled.
  • Bug Fixes.
Userlevel 1

That has not fixed it. The only fix I have found is uninstalling Webroot and using Windows Defender.

Correction: uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling the latest version, 9.0.30.72, seems to have cured it. Thank you TripleHelix!

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

That has not fixed it. The only fix I have found is uninstalling Webroot and using Windows Defender.

Correction: uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling the latest version, 9.0.30.72, seems to have cured it. Thank you TripleHelix!

Great and sorry I removed my post as it was for Consumers and this is a Business thread.

Info on the update: https://answers.webroot.com/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=12&app=vw&vw=1&login=1&json=1&solutionid=2234 there were some more changes with v9.0.30.72 but I have no info on that one so maybe @coscooper or @dstokes1 can supply more info.

Cheers,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @RedTech 

I think it’s best to contact Support and ask them as we don’t know much more and for Consumers I don’t see this issue. Also we Beta Testers are testing a new version v9.0.30.75 and they haven’t said when it will be released to all users.

Business Support: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/business/support/contact

Support Ticket for Business: https://mysupport.webrootanywhere.com/supportwelcome.aspx?

Consumers Support: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

Support Ticket for Consumers: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicetalk.asp?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @dspigelm 

Yes this is an issue so look above and contact Webroot Support as they are the only ones that can help you. As you can see I have asked some Webroot Staff but nothing from them :smiling_imp:

Thanks,

Well @Spicy Lil Taco 

A new version came out to solve this issue without the need for this modification!

We anxiously deployed 9.0.30.72 to our entire domain, and are now running 9.0.30.75, and still the issue persists.  Webroot Identity Shield randomly blocks Google Chrome from being able to open.  Since this only affects random users at random times, our only recourse has been to once again disable Identity Shield for our entire domain.

As a comment said above “So your only “support” is to disable an important part of your software in order for it to work with the most popular browser on the market.

I expect that we will receive some compensation or the option for a refund as this is just ridiculous.”

---- This is pretty much spot on.  Webroot, fix this issue please!

We are also an MSP and have been seeing this for months, our only fix is to push a webroot uninstall from the console and then re push the deployment, which leaves the device unprotected while the device has no AV installed, this resolves the issue temporarily but with 2000 devices, its not the best solution, it should just work !!

Hello All,

As @TripleHelix has mentioned, contacting Webroot Business Support at 1-866-254-8400 is currently the best route to let us know that after installing 9.0.30.75 either manually or if your Console and Sites have received the auto-update, you have customers still having Chrome issues. They are logging these issues and investigating with Product Management and Development. As seen in this thread, version 9.0.30.75 has resolved the issues, but not in every case, so we need to know via our Support Channel where it hasn’t resolved the Chrome issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Whoever marked a “best answer” in this thread, this is not the “best answer”. 

I don’t know who marked it as Best Answer and I removed it but in any case you should contact Webroot Support.

Open a support ticket