Download and run a file command

• 24 October 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi
Can I remotely install an application using the "Download and run a file" command on the machine working in domain that has no admin rights?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi przemek

The executable you are trying to use has to allow parameters such as silent install to be able to run fully, otherwise you'll see them stuck in the Task Manager with a process name W23456789.exe

Jack
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
The command does indeed work, I have and continue to use it.
Be aware that the software must be able to run silently with no user interaction, and it must not have problems running in the SYSTEM context. It's extremely rare anything would, but it's possible - especially for poorly designed installers that don't properly install to All Users.
Userlevel 4
Hi
I believe the installation would be started with admin rights as Webroot runs at the system level. I could be wrong though.
Also you would need some kind of /silent parameter for the installation otherwise it will merely begin the installation and ask the end user to click 'Next' or follow some prompts

Jack
Userlevel 3
I tried to test this command but it doesn't work at all. It seems to download a file but after that nothing happens. Does it have to be an msi or exe file?