Endpoint status Protected when Endpoint is not installed!

• 17 November 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Hello,

I am new to Webroot and I have experienced a few problems with installing the Endpoint on a Win 7 64 bit PC running Norton Internet Security 2014.

I therefore uninstalled NIS & WR from the PC and run uninstall/cleanup tools for both.

Since rebooting I cannot install WR. The software appears briefly then is immediately removed. I have tried downloading directly from the console and via the email template.

I have also run the uninstall tool and attempted reinstall in Safe Networking Mode, but the same thing happens WR in immediately uninstalled.

More worryingly the console is reporting that the computer is Protected even though WR is not installed!

Regards
Paul

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Paul. I'm lazy today so I'm just going to type this out in an ordered list
  1. The Webroot removal tool is only for version 2011 and before as far as I am aware
  2. Uninstall SecureAnywhere, reboot, delete the folder C:ProgramDataWRData restart and install SecureAnywhere again
  3. The console saying that an endpoint is protected is based on the program's own metrics and a 7 day timer if it doesn't check in. If the program is not installed, it will not be able to determine if the installation is healthy or not. Real-time status checks depend on either the last checked in time on the console or your own management tools on your network.
Userlevel 3
Hello,

Thank you for your help.

"Uninstall SecureAnywhere, reboot, delete the folder C:ProgramDataWRData restart and install SecureAnywhere again"

I could not uninstall the agent as it was already uninstalled, but I can confirm that after deleting C:ProgramDataWRData and rebooting, I was finally able to re-install the agent.

"The console saying that an endpoint is protected is based on the program's own metrics and a 7 day timer if it doesn't check in. If the program is not installed, it will not be able to determine if the installation is healthy or not. Real-time status checks depend on either the last checked in time on the console or your own management tools on your network"

The above is very concerning as I was in a position where the console was indicating my PC was 'Protected' even though the agent was not installed (for over 24 hours). This seems to be a serious flaw, which I hope WR can fix. Fortunately I do use a management tool, which can let me know immediately if the agent is not installed.

Regards
Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi @ Paul (sorry for calling you Amber)
FYI in the future - Webroot keeps almost everything in the WRData folder except the program itself and two files in system32.

As far as I can tell, the registry keys are only for other programs to find out the antivirus status and undocumented switches Webroot support will give you.

Both of these locations are supposed to be cleared out in the event of an uninstall, but obviously there was something going wrong there.

Regarding the health reporting, you make a good point lets see if Webroot chimes in.