Solved

Firefox and WSA EP trial key issue

• 12 December 2013
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Guys

Currently it is not possible to get the trial key for WSA Endpoint Protection in the Firefox browser.
 We are redirected to a different subpage and do not get any trial key.
Customers are very unhappy with this (over50% are using Firefox) - what can I say to them / when it will be fixed?

Regards
icon

Best answer by Moto 28 March 2014, 23:20

View original

27 replies

Badge +1
Hi Sebastian,

Can you confirm the URL please? (is it - http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?trpd=WSAB&loc=usa&lang=en)

I will then raise this with QA and WebDev .

Thanks,

Paul

Userlevel 4
Yes, and I was redirect to
http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?loc=usa&lang=en&trpd=
so no trial key :(

Regards
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Michael here from the online team. I'm the online UXD guy.
I just tried the form using Firefox 25.0.1.

I came in to the trial from the link on the Endpoint product page and from the Business Trials page.
http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?trpd=WSAB&loc=USA&lang=en

The dang thing worked.

I was wondering if I can perhaps follow the same path you went through on the site and make sure I have the right version.
  • Firefox version? Toolbar, Help > About Firefox
  • How did you get to the trial form? Navigation through the site or perhaps an email link? I'll follow the same path.
  • I noticed the link in this thread had a ")" at the end... I didn't use that thinking it was just the way it was being documented, but if your path does have any additional characters, include those.
  • I can also try to use a Portable Apps version of Firefox or add any extensions that block cookies like Ghostery, Abine DoNotTrackMe, Adblock, Adblock Plus if you have those installed. Let me know if you are running any extensions to Firefox that perform blocking.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Apologies. I also forgot to ask which OS you are using, or if it doesn't matter. PC, Mac, Linux - or if it's in a VM/emulator.
Userlevel 4
 I do not know whether my configuration tell you something bcs these problems we have throughout the company and our customers have them also (we distribute Webroot in Poland).
But here you have it - WIN XP Pro SP 3, Firefox 26.0 , no adblock

Our way to trial form:
http://wrpolska.pl/index.php/secureanywhere-endpoint-protection/
and at the right side click on POBIERZ DEMO ... and it take us to our unique url:
http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?trpd=WSAB&loc=USA&sc=701F0000000dV5E&ls=1
and when we fill this form it will always sends us to ...
http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?loc=USA&lang=en&trpd=

but I tried the same link as you and I've also left with nothing and the last link is always the same.

This is very important for us bcs half of our customer are working with Firefox and we receive a lot of complaints.

Best Regards
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hi Sebastian.

I've installed Firefox 26 and used the same path on our US website. I was able to get a completion screen. I've attached the screenshot.

I'm down to thinking:
  • Special characters. I know that we can't handle most special characters, but not the turksih character set. Can you snapshot or paste in the values you are using? I also placed my trial using the country = Poland and that worked.
  • Perhaps the US path? This is a longshot but if you change the parameters in the URL to loc=gbr&lang=en you would be using the Great Britian localization.
  • IP address, something regional? Far long shot but we do block certain IP ranges where under US regulations we cannot conduct business.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hello Sebastian.

I've peformed some additional testing, to let you know this is still in progress.

On a Windows XP VM we installed a clean copy of Firefox 26.0 and used the trial form:

URL
http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?trpd=WSAB&loc=USA&sc=701F0000000dV5E&ls=1

First: Du?y
Last: Dzia?ki
Company: Ko?ció? rzymsko-katolicki
Email: Polandtest@webroot.pl
Email: Polandtest@webroot.pl
State: N/A
Endpoints: 5

As we added the Polish characters to the form, it flagged them and forced us to replace them. We even set our Firefox browser to Polish lanaguage.
The email address domain of .pl was allowed. The capital was allowed.

This wound up being sucessful.

At this point I am thinking there is something with the ISP or IP address - something that I cannot replicate here in the US.

The only other thing I can think of is running wireshark and getting a pcap log while you submit the form from one of your computers and we can see if it's there is some sort of network config we have.

Thoughts?
Userlevel 4
Hello Guys

I've also performed some tests:

URL
http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?trpd=WSAB&locGBR&sc=701F0000000dV5E&ls...

First: Testowy
Last: Jakis
Company: Testowy taki jaki
Phone: 0048 32 2455927
Email: testowy@net.pl
Email: testowy@net.pl
State: N/A
Endpoints: 22

and Im again here - http://www.webroot.com/customerSupport/trialRegistration.php?loc=GBR&lang=en&trpd=

So I think that problem is at IP address pool

I will try connect thruogh proxy.

Best Regards
Sebastian
Userlevel 4
HI

I have some new information:

1 - I used a proxy in Firefox (One Click Proxy add on) and my geolocation changed to Seoul, Korea and IP was very different then my previous one but I still do not get the www with the trial key and a link to console registration.

2 - I also have logs from my colleague from the desk next to me from Wireshark so please let me know where to send them.

P.S.: Mail with a trial key and a link to console registrationi is received properly.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Email to:
mkanemoto

at the webroot domain.

Thank you for this work.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I received your Wireshark logs, and I will see if there is a network administrator who can look at these.
Thanks for the help. I will be out of the office until December 30th, but will try to get this moving.
Userlevel 4
F5 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Refresh. Hilarious. I have gone through the capture.

I  have noticed that toward the end of the capture you are on the business trial registration form, and then there is a referral that looks like a consumer URL. I'm adding this to our ticket.

I will also send this off to our network folks.
Userlevel 4
So when I can perform more tests?
Userlevel 4
Still no improvement   😞
Userlevel 4
Still no changes - what we can do now??
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
There is nothing more to do, as I am assigning this to a developer.

I just wanted to make sure that you are only seeing this on Firefox, not other browsers.
And I wanted to make sure you are not using a hypen character.

M
Userlevel 4
This is my trial URL:

and yes, im only having this problem with Firefox (and all my customers in Poland).

Im not using any hyphen characters (like in previus example - page 1).
Userlevel 4
And its nothing you can do Guys?? 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hello.

I finally have some good news. Our QA team has been able to see that within Firefox there is a double post request being sent down through the form. We're having difficulty replicating this through our development environment but we have narrowed down what we think is causing the form to render back to the default state. This is something we have in the backlog.

While researching this problem we also found a bug in the way we handle referral URLs. This means that for some external sites linking to our trial forms the form would not work. This fix is expected to go live today. At that time I will see if it was the referral URL that was causing the error.

Lastly, we have also learned that the phone number field has very tight restrictions over characters, and it will throw validation errors on Eurpoe phone numbers. We are going to be correcting this as well shortly.

Finally, we've realized our trial process is not as robust as we want, so we are rewriting the trial form architecture as a medium term goal and the intent is to solve what may be an architectural problem.

I am sorry for the intermittant updates. We have a new Endpoint product coming online.
Userlevel 4
Thank you anf nice job.
Please let me know when everything will be fixed because now the issue still exist.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hello.

We've corrected a referral URL problem with the trial forms. We have also updated the validation rules for European phone numbers. These are now in production.

We have found the root behaviro of the intermittant Firefox bug. Firefox is basically calling the page twice after submission, which would load the confirmation page and then the second call would push the default trial page view... almost like a reset. Our developer is trying to find what is causing Firefox to double load. I am hoping that you can do a full test soon to see if we have resolved your problem.
Userlevel 4
Hello

Thank you for a large dose of information.
I'm waiting for a 'GO' with tests.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Please test.

We've corrected the way we handle some eternal referral URLs.
We've corrected the phone number and company name validation rules.

Lastly, we've corrected the Firefox browser problem.

When we were able to reproduce the problem our QA team was able to see that with Firefox it was sending two calls to the trial registration form. In the first call, the registration would post, and with the immediate second call the registration page would reset it to the default state.

Our developer Sagar finally started to comment out his code one line at a time to attempt to see what was causing the double post. The page code functioned properly. He then noticed that the page loads three external javascript files and a metadata file. Commenting out the metadata file removed the problem.

He found by moving the load order around that with Firefox it needs to have the metadata file ahead of any javascript files. For some reason the other browsers do not need the loads to occur in this sequence.

Nasty. Just cruel. Should work now.

This means that for some external sites linking to our trial forms the form would not work. This fix is expected to go live today. At that time I will see if it was the referral URL that was causing the error.

Lastly, we have also learned that the phone number field has very tight restrictions over characters, and it will throw validation errors on Eurpoe phone numbers. We are going to be correcting this as well shortly.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
We've closed the tickets internally, but if you are able to recreate the problem let us know.
Please do test with Firefox.