Google Chrome stops working until Webroot is reinstalled

• 9 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I have Webroot deployed across a large number of endpoints. Every once in a while a few people will report that Google Chrome will not open. As soon as I uninstall Webroot, Chrome works just fine. And then when I reinstall Webroot things are back to normal.

Is this a known issue, any suggestions for how best to deal with it?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I have Webroot deployed across a large number of endpoints. Every once in a while a few people will report that Google Chrome will not open. As soon as I uninstall Webroot, Chrome works just fine. And then when I reinstall Webroot things are back to normal.

Is this a known issue, any suggestions for how best to deal with it?

YES!  It took me forever to figure out it was Webroot causing the issue.  But I can now recognize the problem and an uninstall/reinstall of Webroot does the trick.  I have about 110 endpoints and only had this happen twice.  What’s strange… in both instances they were new machines with fresh installs of Windows 10.  They worked fine when I built them, but Chrome stopped working once I gave them to the customer.  Once I uninstalled and reinstalled Webroot, the problem went away.  

Is there anything in log files or that gets reported in some alert that you know of? Or do we just have to recognize this and know that’s likely the issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I haven’t dug into this issue with support or looked at the logs, to be honest.  In both cases, I just needed to fix it  right away for the customer.  I wish I could reproduce it on one of my machines so that I could work with support to help them identify the issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

I should clarify- there was nothing present in the Windows Events that I could find.  I never dug into the Webroot logs, though.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I have also experienced this exact same thing on new Windows 10 machines in the last year a few times.