Solved

Help with SecureAnywhere remote deployment

• 22 March 2013
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
I could do with a bit of assistance. I have downloaded the remote deployment tool to my local PC (we're a IT support company and I'm using my colleagues as guinea pigs). I have an .msi that I would like to deploy, and a list of the NETBIOS PC names that I want to deploy to.
I have checked on a few of the computers that my account (by group membership) is an administrative account. The PC's I currently want to deploy to are Win 7.
When reaching the Remote Depoyment screen, I am getting various errors from Not Installed to authentication errors.
I could do with someone pointing me in the right direction.
icon

Best answer by Shawn 26 March 2013, 18:27

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Amanda,

When it comes to checking for admin permissions, this is what we always suggest as how to best check for permissions being set correctly:

To determine if the user has network access:
  1. Log in to the managed endpoint using administrative privileges.  
  2. Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools.  
  3. Open Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options.  
  4. Scroll down and double-click Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts. Network access must be set to Classic — local users authenticate as themselves. If network access is "Guest only — local users authenticate as guest", change it and click OK.  
  5. Verify that \hostnameadmin$ share is accessible on the drive where the operating system is installed (usually drive C) for the endpoint where Webroot SecureAnywhere will be deployed.  
  6. Right-click the drive and click Sharing and Security to see if the folder is shared. If the folder is not shared, enable sharing for the drive and verify that permissions are set the permissions to Full control.

Regarding the specific errors though, if you could share what they are, that would be useful in any further troubleshooting.

This page is also very helpful.
Userlevel 2
Hi Jim,

On some of the PC's when I right click then Install/Update agent, it gets to the point where it says "Installing. Refresh again..." when I refresh it goes back to saying Not Installed.
On one PC I am receiving an "Unexpected error 1396", yet when I deploy using it's IP address, i get the Installing/Not Installed behaviour.
The others do appear to be issues with the Admin$ share on the target PC's which is a pain. I'll look into these separately.
Thanks for your help so far
Userlevel 5
Hello,
My name is Shawn and I am the US Enterprise Support Team Lead. I was alerted of your issue and would like to make some recommendations that will make this deployment much easier.

We have come to realize that our Webroot Remote Deployment Tool does not perform well in much of the enterprise environments seen today. Due to increased network and local OS security, the tool is not able to communicate properly within the network.

This tool is being pulled from our website and is no longer recommended for use. I do apologize about any time or resources spent while attempting to use this tool.

What I do recommend is using GPO if endpoints are on a domain or the use of a free third party tool called PDQ Deploy. This tool can be found at:

http://www.adminarsenal.com/pdq-deploy/main/

Thank you and please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns,
Shawn T
Webroot Enterprise Support