How did you get into IT?

• 27 February 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 6752 replies
It's always fun to hear people's stories of how they got started.  For me it was the classic accidental IT pro.  I graduated from college and had no idea what I wanted to do next.  Ended up working for a government contractor who had a contract to support a couple hundred people in a department at HHS in DC.  I'd grown up tinkering and programming (my first computer was a C64) so I enjoyed getting to learn more in a professional setting.  Back in those days hardware was a lot more tricky (anyone remember dip switches and IRQ settings) and it was fun for me to get my hands on a much wider range of stuff than I had at home.  We were a Novell shop so I got to learn Groupwise.  From there I spent about 10 years doing SMB IT work until I found my way to community management.

How about you guys?  How'd you get your start?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
no I was a Cavalry Scout, 19D, which is where part of my screen name comes from Delta being D in the NATO phonetic alphabet.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Games...and a huge sense of curiosity.

Got hooked with the Commador64 and haven't looked back. (That and Sid Meier's Civilization :p)

load "*" ,8,1

Seems like it mostly came natural...I wanted to play games and needed a system to play with...wanted something more than a console so computers seemed to fill the niche nicely.  

Now my "hobby" is what I'm paid to do. How rad is that?

Userlevel 5
I got out of the army and needed to pick somethign to go to school for and picked IT since i like computers, and seemed like good money.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I got out of the army and needed to pick somethign to go to school for and picked IT since i like computers, and seemed like good money.
That's cool - do you do IT work in the army too, or were you doing something else?